Identify These Wheels

foxfour

Hi Everyone,

My first post on these forums. Hopefully you will be able to see a couple of pictures of wheels that are fitted to an old diesel bowser of a kind that would be found on a farm. I'm told that the wheels are probably ww1 military but that may be incorrect. Anyway the bowser is condemned to the scrapyard very soon and it would be a shame if the wheels were indeed of use to someone or of value other than scrap. With the wealth of knowledge that I'm sure can be found on these forums perhaps the wheels can be identified and a new home found rather than the scrapyard.

Martin.

wheels1.jpg

wheels2.jpg

Thanks for the replies gents. Now I've been pointed in the right direction they look like Covenanter wheels from pictures I've seen elsewhere on the net. I will measure the diameter of the wheels and width of the tyres on Thursday and then perhaps we will know exactly what they are.

Martin.

Thanks for the replies gents. Now I've been pointed in the right direction they look like Covenanter wheels from pictures I've seen elsewhere on the net. I will measure the diameter of the wheels and width of the tyres on Thursday and then perhaps we will know exactly what they are.

Martin.

Hi Martin, good work and make sure these do not go to the scrapman. As Adrian has pointed out - he could find a nice home for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be so long with the dimensions but here goes - the wheels are 32 inches diameter (including the rubber), I suppose I should have measured the rim diameter because there's bound to be tyre wear. The tyres would appear to be four and a half inches wide at the rim and only four inches wide on the outside. The measurement between the inside rim of one wheel of a pair and the outside rim of the other one is eleven inches. Anyone who is interested in acquiring these wheels, and they would have to be collected from the NE of Scotland, please PM me.

Martin.

Thanks for all the help from you guys on these forums. I will post again when the wheels are removed. Meanwhile, I will see if I can find a way of getting the wheels to Adrian without incurring huge expense since we would appear to be at opposite ends of Britain.

• 4 weeks later...

A wee update, the wheels are off the bowser and that has now gone to the scrappy. All we need now is to get them to Adrian without incurring huge expense. Perhaps the next time the RAF have a Chinook visiting RAF Lossiemouth or Kniloss they could help us out (wishful thinking). A couple of pictures of the wheels as they are now should be below, sorry about the quality, taken with a mobile phone.

Martin.

wheels4.jpg

wheels3.jpg