hello from furness also

big chris

hi everyone after reading the pages and looking at pictures for some time now me and ourkid have both decided to join up

alot of info is available on here, which is very good to see and more info is often added

as some of you are aware after reading on threads i recently bought a scammell (after many years of wanting one) it was advertised in cmv mag and needed some work, price was haggled on as scammell had been for sale for some time and needing space the owner decided to sell for a very reduced price

so a low loader was sent to watford to return the scammell home to barrow in furness

when the scammell arrived it didnt look that bad and after 2 nights work air tanks/wheell arches/trackbox and a bit of wiring the scammell was taxed on red and on the road

awsome!!

a couple of short journeys and some light off road use went by and i decided to take it further out of barrow for a run

i regretted this

as to my horror the engine and i quote from one of your posts went

SNAP CRACCKLE AND POP!!

then the scammell was retired to the back of the shed for a couple of weeks

i then removed the sump and realised the engine was scrap all the caps had spun the shells and welded themselves to the crank

and yes it had oil and water in !!

i began the search for an engine found a few 680s for 1500 + vat

maybe this was going to become an expensive scammell after all...

then looking at the old add in the cmv i saw a 690 turbo for sale for 500

but it was in bournemouth oh dear

i drove down loaded up and drove straight back what a journey at this point i had 6 weeks to get everthing sorted for the scammells first show..

690 turbos ARE NOT A DIREST REPLACEMENT as i had thought lots to change but had to do it for the whistle of the turbo

made it to the first show driven 28 miles each way

engine great vibration bad

hope this post is not too long to get things off to a start with us im sure arkid will give as much info as i have on his what he keeps telling me is a proper scammell just because im jibless and my windsceens are not origional oh and my back body has no boxes

but im working on all them

thanks guys

chris alderson

Sorry to hear of your troubles with your new toy . As to your Scammell's present condition We understand rolling restorations , I have yet to meet someone who has had the luck of winning the big lucky money lottery and can afford to have all the toys and all the goodies at the same time . feel free to post your photo's as we all learn from others expericances and adventures.

Edited by abn deuce

Hello Chris and welcome to the forum ! I have seen a complete rear body and crane removed from a scrapped Scammell in the Swindon area ! The timber was gone but the crane was still there ! It was a few years back but the chap did keep all removed parts for spares at the time ! I can try to recontact him if you are keen to get a crane ! Good luck and hope to see your Scammells one day in the flesh ! Regards Andy F ! :-D

thanks andy i have just got hold of a jib of a pioneer but the winch is not origional (being manual) however it is the same jib and i can get hold of a forward and reverse 90 deg box so i will be able to get it to work

also i do have all the brackets for the body just wood totally gone but sharing a garage with 2 other explorers i can copy theres anyway

thanks anyway andy

chris

There are plenty out there, go out and find one, and start living....My wife told me to post that.....

tell her thanks for letting me lose in hers and for pulling our driver out of the playpen on monday where tired of getting him unstuck

ime searching i youger work freind of mine mite sell me his in the near futre :cool2: