Paint question.

Rick W

Question

After fitting the Morris engine cover on we sprayed it with a new tin of OD eggshell from a supplier. It has come out completely matt finish. Which is odd as the last tin we used was a definite eggshell finish, but we painted that on by brush. Is it a dodgy tin of paint we have or is the finish different because we have thinned it with thinners and sprayed it??

4 answers to this question

Could be the thinners used was incompatible with the paint and has broken down the paint molecules hence the matt finish.

Another problem I had once was an incompatible primer reacting once the top coat went on and leaving a matt rather than gloss finish.

I now find it best to try and source all paint materials from the same supplier to ensure compatibility.

Thanks for that. What thinners would you use andwhat percentage of paint to thinners?

Rick,

Not knowing the source of your paint, you should contact the supplier and ask those questions.

With the paint I use, it is synthetic, and an approriate thinners is used at about 10%, does vary if paint is a bit thick though and dependant on temperature.