Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton engine paint

G506

Im not far off painting the Chevy's engine, but information about engine colour on these old girls is very sketchy. The general consensus of opinion says it should be OD, however I've also heard that some GMCs were bottle green, and some earlier jeeps/Dodges were mid grey. Anyone have any thoughts on what colour a '42 Chev should have?

Cheers

Hi Degsy,

already spoke to Steve, he believes OD but couldnt guarantee it for an earlier Chev, as I mentioned, info on these is very limited. Theres also the issue of which covering the cab seats should have, green canvas, black leatherette, brown leatherette.

I should have picked something far more straight-forward to restore............

Hi Degsy,

already spoke to Steve, he believes OD but couldnt guarantee it for an earlier Chev, as I mentioned, info on these is very limited. Theres also the issue of which covering the cab seats should have, green canvas, black leatherette, brown leatherette.

I should have picked something far more straight-forward to restore............

Pending you finding out any thing definite I suppose you can only go with the majority opinion, its a difficult situation. A few years ago I was offered a Chev 1.5ton panel van, unfortunately couldn't afford it but have regretted it ever since.

Pending you finding out any thing definite I suppose you can only go with the majority opinion, its a difficult situation. A few years ago I was offered a Chev 1.5ton panel van, unfortunately couldn't afford it but have regretted it ever since.

The panel van is a lovely truck, and very, very rare. If you still want a Chevy, I know of a £750 project............

The engine in my 1943 truck was a bottle green colour when I got her. I have since painted it OD.

Also I took the modern vinyl seat covers off my seats to reveal the original green canvas seat covers.

Hi Pop,

Is your engine a Chevy 235, or a Jimmy 270?

A friend did point out to me the other day, that even if my truck should have leatherette, do I really want to be sat on it, stuck in traffic, on a hot July day, in a closed cab? Canvas is a whole better plan! John and Mary Worthing sell green canvas covers, to fit yourself, £60.

it doesn't really matter..........you'll never finish it anyway! hahahahahaha :-)

i believe 50's 235's were painted a nice shade of blue in cars!

Get to work G506!

Bodger Out!

LOL!!

Harsh but funny

Tee Hee, you gotta laugh!

Bodger

P.S. dont mention the post war cab on my Bedford. did 101st have OXC's?

I'd heard it said your Bedford was the first vehicle off the landing craft on the 6th June....

The panel van is a lovely truck, and very, very rare. If you still want a Chevy, I know of a £750 project............

I like all the Chev's but the panel van in particular, I think that at the time I was offered the van it was one of only two in this country and it wasn't in too bad condition. The present economic situation has hit me quite badly and it's difficult enough to keep the jimmy going let alone take on another vehicle but thanks very much for the offer.:-D

I like all the Chev's but the panel van in particular, I think that at the time I was offered the van it was one of only two in this country and it wasn't in too bad condition. The present economic situation has hit me quite badly and it's difficult enough to keep the jimmy going let alone take on another vehicle but thanks very much for the offer.:-D

Hi Degsy,

no worries, understand the financial aspect, loads of people are struggling. They keep threatening a recession is on it's way, I say its been with us about a year already.

As you say, the main thing is keeping that Jimmy on the road!

Keep smiling!

Mine has the original Chevy 235 in it, and no you won't want leatherette. The vinyl covers on mine were horrible when it was hot.

Got the troop seats back in mine today :-D

Good man, lets see some piccies!