Landrover series 3

ferrettkitt

Question

I think this should go in this part of the forum it's something that I've done

I replaced the rear springs on my series 3 swb, one side of the springs was very flat. After replacing the springs and bushes (including the chassis bushes) I'm having the same problem that I had before I replaced them. Any kind of weight in the vehicle or a sankey trailer flattens the spring on the left side dropping the mud flap onto the floor it literally scrapes along the road.

Take the weight off and the vehicle returns to an even keel

Anyone had this problem before??

Andy

11 answers to this question

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I think this should go in this part of the forum it's something that I've done

I replaced the rear springs on my series 3 swb, one side of the springs was very flat. After replacing the springs and bushes (including the chassis bushes) I'm having the same problem that I had before I replaced them. Any kind of weight in the vehicle or a sankey trailer flattens the spring on the left side dropping the mud flap onto the floor it literally scrapes along the road.

Take the weight off and the vehicle returns to an even keel

Anyone had this problem before??

Andy

ANdy as you probably know there are a large variety of springs

petrol diesel,heavy duty.7 leaf 11 leaf goes on and on.It would help if we knew if the springs you took off were O.E.and were the ones you fitted O.E.also the bushes.did you stand them side by side and check the free camber before fitting.some applications especially left hand drive had different part nos.its been a long time since i played with springs. but when i prepared my landrover for an africa trip i loaded it and made the springs to suit.i also put longer spring hangers on the back.also coil helpers instead of bump stops but thats another story.:-D

Aren't they handed left & right

THats why they have different part nos.but normally export,dont anybody suggest gas shocks:argh:

The springs on a Series 3 Land Rover are handed; the idea being to compensate for the weight of the driver. So have you put each set on the wrong side?

Sounds more serious than that,You may have to get paddington springs to camber the drivers one.bet there not proper:-D

It could be that the springs are fitted on the wrong sides but I think it more likely that these some of the very poor items which are available. A friend had a similar problem with new springs, when he rang the supplier they immediately replaced them with a different make and didn't even require return of the faulty items.

I'm sure that I've fitted them correctly right side on the right side as per the part numbers on the reciept. I'm pretty certain that they weren't gen parts the springs had the part no's sprayed on them. I didn't stand them side by side I was in a bit of a rush to fit them (It rarely stops raining in Manchester when it does stop you make hey as it were). I've probably made a mistake somewhere in the re-fitting. I re-fitted the springs using plenty off copper grease so that I could undo bolts / nuts and the like at a later date if I needed to which seems like it might be sooner than I thought. What I might do is give the supplier a bell tomorrow and see if he has any suggestions otherwise I’ll see if he’s willing to swap them. Bugger I was pleased as punch when I swapped them thinking I’d cured the problem only for it to return and bite me in the a**

Andy