MW clutch advice

Carruthers

Hello boys,

Got the MW running nicley but the gearbox doesn't want to engage and when i got it into a gear the truck started to move but then it pooped out of gear. Is this a seized release bearing?? If so, does the box have to come off and the part replaced?? I am just going to the sheds now to check to free play which I know will have an effect. 1" the book says....

Also, the have found the chassis number where you said it would be Richard. There's nothing like moving the beast into the lighter part of the barn!

Andy you will be chuffed: it reads MWR 59040. From your previous message about serial numbers/years, Richard, I make that to be about May 1944. Production for that year was 8598 divided by 12 gives 716 per month, unless there's production details I'm not aware of. I'm interested to know why the chassis to denoted as a radio one, cos surely the FFW element is engine suppression, extra earth leads etc and all these and other radio requirments are all about the fitting, not the actual chassis. Any ideas??

Simon

Hello boys,

Got the MW running nicley but the gearbox doesn't want to engage and when i got it into a gear the truck started to move but then it pooped out of gear.

I'm interested to know why the chassis to denoted as a radio one, cos surely the FFW element is engine suppression, extra earth leads etc and all these and other radio requirments are all about the fitting, not the actual chassis. Any ideas??

Hi Simon,

I guess you can physically select the gears without the engine running, so assume gear selectors are alright and going on what you say, that the gears are grating when trying to select with engine running. Sounds like the clutch is dragging, if it has been standing for a long time, the clutch plate could be sticking on the splines, or it might have oil on the linings, causing drag. Drop the pan off below clutch housing and have a look up inside, perhaps take some photo whilst under there.

Re. the chassis number prefixed by MWR, it is actually the Vehicle serial number and denotes the model or variant, by quoting this number when ordering parts, you then should get the correct items. Imagine ordering plugs and points for example, there are two types of plugs, screened and conventional, if you did not have the correct prefix, the wrong parts could be sent out.

Richard

HI Richard,

Ta for the clutch info. After inspecting the MW again the play on the clutch pedal is excessive too, so I will adjust and drop the pan for a visual as you suggest. Take pix too.

Message rec'd about the serial number for ordering, which makes complete sense now!!!

Most grateful for your assistance Richard

Simon