Vehicle Depot Stock in the 60s

LCplCombat

Cuthbertson Land Rover, Hillman Mink estate, the RAF used them as well. The ford Zephyr Staff car, I had a Vauxhall Velox staff car from the same period. Looks like Bedford M's with the bonnet and MK's. 2 or 2A Land Rover ambulance. And the Commer? mini bus at the end. The flat fronted Austin J4. So 1963/4? the White Bedford ambulance, there was one like ti for years at Jersey airport. Last seen in Lewisham a couple of years ago, still in markings. A lot of people on the Rock got very upset when that dissappeared still fully functional and perfect running order at reputedly a peppercorn price.

Going up the front row I can see, in order, Hillman Husky, Ford Zephyr, Morris J2 minibus, L/R 2a, Austin K9 water tank, Bedford RL recovery, etc.

2nd row, Bedford CA, L/R 2a ambulance, Bedford J types, truck and ambulances, Bedford TK, Bedford TJ, AEC Mammoth Major, Bedford SB3 coach, AEC Militant Mk1, etc.

3rd row, Cuthbertson, dumper?, MF tractor, MF loader and backacter, next unknown, Allis Chalmers 645, Marshall Gainsborough, Michigan 75.............................

someone else can continue :-D

No its a Husky. I know because I'm very familiar with them. A guy at one site had one that he had driven in the RAF, going over to MOD he kept track of it and bought it out. Still seen at the shows.

I THOUGHT so. My uncle drove one (several - serially) in the 1960s and 70s and I also remember a guy I worked with was a collector and had his back garden full of Imps and Huskies in various (mainly poor) states of repair.

My mum was posh and had the Gazzelle. If Jack will allow me off topic just once for a funny story?

He lets me go off-topic to tell stories - he wanted me to write a column but I told him I work better replying to others' snippets, so to just go ahead. Go on, do it. Far better to ask forgiveness afterwards than to be refused permission beforehand.

I'll let Jack go to the front of the queue to slap me face (see SdKfz change of ownership thread) if he says no to your request.

On your head be it! I'll blame you :-D Mum learnt to drive only when she was about 45, a story in itself. After a year or so she decided she wanted a big car, 'So we can tour the Continent'. She bought a Singer Gazelle, one summer, when my niece was visiting from Canada, mum thought they would go shopping to St Helier, town, as it is known in jersey. that afternoon there was a rain shower, so home they came. There are about 7 hills to choose from to get home from St Helier, mum choose the one with the worst reputation Beaumont. On the way up she felt the car slide, thinking it was puncture she stood on the brakes, and lost it. the car veered across the road took out about 14 feet of roadside railing, then drooped 14 feet straight down, it continued down a 1:1 slope for another 200 feet, missing trees all the ways down. then showjumped a 4 foot wide stream at the bottom, before stopping. Mum yelled at hazel to run, thinking the car might explode, she did. mum got out still convinced she had had a puncture and bent over a front wheel. In her own word's felt a hand on my shoulder, turned round and there was a man standing there. I said to him' Well it not this bloody one thats flat'. I've never seen a man turn so green, he said'Excuse me' turned around and was violently sick'. the man in question was taxi driver following her. He'd seen the car go over the edge and stooped scrambled down, no mean feat in itself, and thought she had got out of the car and died of a heart attack. The car was craned up , the handbrake lever had to be knocked off with a hammer, where mum had jammed it up and driven to the gagrage. Total damage, scratched wings and a scratch right along the roof. they don't build them like they used to.