T2 Hangar

N.O.S.

If anyone has any sensible ideas on what to do with a substantial quantity of T2 hangar sections (lattice work sections, no purlins, enough for about a 2/3rds size building), ideally involving vehicle storage at a Norfolk/Suffolk US airbase museum, do please let me know. Quickly.

The problem is, unless your a land owner/farmer, what do you do with a T2 - As much as you want to preserve it?

Of the 18 US occupied airfields in Suffolk during WWII, each airfield built to Class A Standard, would have two T2 Hangars for indoor aircraft maintenance.

A few still remain in their original location today

Raydon Airfield, P-51's - 1 x T2

Rattlesden Airfield, B-17's - 1 x T2

Eye Airfield, B-17 & B-24's - 1 x T2

Parham Airfield, B-17's - 1 x T2

Rougham Airfield, B-17's - Final T2 demolished within the past 10 years.

Those that do remains I believe are used for their storage benefits.

I do know that the remaining T2 at Membury Airfield in Berkshire is also under threat. You can see this hangar as you drive down the M4.

I am struggling to think who would be in a position to accept a T2, all be it in reduced size format up this neck of the woods though................. :embarassed: :embarassed:

That sums it up quite neatly Clive, albeit sadly. Add one still at Knettishall (388th) too, also at Snetterton. Our first came from Surrey, the second from Snetterton, though it had been moved to there in the early '80s and never erected, we swapped it for one lying dismantled at Coventry to save haulage costs.

The good thing is you can build them to any height/span/length to suit, thereby giving the impression/character of a T2 but in a much smaller space.

About 1/2 hr after Bolero departed Thorpe Abbots, I discussed this at length with the curator there, as I felt a small version would make a brilliant addition to this great little museum, to house a vehicle collection amongst other things. Problem is the farmer will not give them any more land, and the committee have taken a decision to keep the museum at its present size for ease of maintenance within tight budget and manpower constraints. Quite a sensible decision really.

Rougham would be delighted but what with planning / road issues the timing is wrong. Looks like I might have to move it all once again, as it is in the way (again) and I'm loath to see it scrapped just yet.

Any ideas, do please speak up / put the word out :dunno: HMVF communal store?

Knowing of the planning issues regarding Maurice's residence at Topcroft, I know that as good an idea as that sounds, it is just not viable.

I will speak to Richard Taylor at Debach airfield tomorrow night at our monthly Suffolk Area meeting. Now he not only has the space and passion, but he owns the farm/airfield - A rare combination. And his brother in law owns the adjoing farm where the main runway used to run. We can only ask.

Out of interest, where in East Anglia are you based NOS - Is this the location where is would need to be moved from?

PS - I always think of Knettishall as being in Norfolk, but of course it's still just this side of the border! I remember driving my Dad's GMC around and around inside the T2 Hangar there in 1992 just after I first got my licence and listening to the wonderful sound of the Jimmy's exhaust reverberating against the tin sides. I guess GoogleEarth would give us a definitive answer as to how many T2's remain in the region in there original positions.

Yes, do please mention this to the Taylors - I'd be pleased to talk further with them if they have any interest. I am aware that Richard Taylor is after expanding his own collection of vehicles, but do not know his attitude towards vehicles owned by others :dunno:

I was hoping that, somehow, this steelwork might be able to be used as a sort of 8th AF vehicle storage facility / museum for other owners. But as has been aired on here before, what a job to pull together, and fraught with difficulties!