Re-plating a truck (MJ)

Stormin

Question

O.K. so I've been inspired by the recent article in CMV and went and bought a Bedford MJ.

The magazine article made light of re-plating to 7.5 tonne weight limit, for use with a C1 licence.

Has anyone on here been through this procedure. It sounds a simple matter of removing brackets on the chassis, but how do you provide evidence to VOSA or DVLA that the weight capability is reduced. Are there engineering companies that carry out this conversion and provide a new certificate and plate?

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 answer to this question

I'm not 100% sure but I think if you're down rating it's just a paper exercise. You get a form from VOSA, fill in the new details and take our vehicle a long to the LGV Test Station of your choice, hand over £25 and after giving it a quick look over they print off a new plating certificate. That's what I did with my Magnum, well in reverse anyway. It had been down rated to 23 tonnes but I needed 28 tonnes, so as nothing had been done to it it was a 15 minute job to up it.

It's a bit more involved if you need to up rate it over what it was when manufactured but that's not what you need is it.

Regards

Richard