Reused German Helmets

Citroman

A friend has this in his collection. After the war these seemed to have been transformed and sold. The enamelled complete helmet was sold as chamber pots. The collander one was made of a helmet with it's rim cut off. You still can see the original rivet hole on the side.

helmpot.jpg

helmvergiet.jpg

Edited by Citroman
  • Like 3

Hi @Citroman

I have seen a few of these over the years.

Additionally German Paratroop helmets made into colanders in the same way as the bottom photo.

They are also enamelled in Green with white flecks at times.

Of course, it's also common in Europe to find German and American with three holes drilled in one side, or evidence of welding there for modification into a scoop for septic tanks, etc.

I have also seen British helmets used as factory lamp shades....

Best Regards,

Adrian

My grandmother had a british helmet upside down hanging on chains with flowers in it. It was painted silver when i took it when she left the house i found the letters MP painted on it.  Might have been brought home by my uncle who was in the REME.

• Like 2

I still use a PIAT nose cone as a funnel - passed on from my father  / grandfather who worked at Midland Metal Spinning where they produced them. Apparently we had a chrome plated complete projectile that was presented to my grandfather who was the tool room manager - unfortunately now lost.

49 minutes ago, 07BE16 said:

I still use a PIAT nose cone as a funnel - passed on from my father  / grandfather who worked at Midland Metal Spinning where they produced them. Apparently we had a chrome plated complete projectile that was presented to my grandfather who was the tool room manager - unfortunately now lost.

Heartbreaking!

On 8/19/2024 at 11:50 AM, Citroman said:

My grandmother had a british helmet upside down hanging on chains with flowers in it. It was painted silver when i took it when she left the house i found the letters MP painted on it.  Might have been brought home by my uncle who was in the REME.

When I was a kid our house sported one with a big W on it .. Dad was the local ARP warden as he was 'reserved occupation' plus he did Home Guard duties as well.