Motorcycle factories during the Blitz

rewdco

I first published this research in 2017, on the Birmingham History Forum (see watermarks on the pictures). Thought it would be sensible to publish the same study on HMVF as well... 

There is a common misconception that some of the BSA factory ledgers were damaged during the Birmingham Blitz. This theory is even confirmed by official BSA documents. A couple of years ago John O'Brien sent me a copy of a letter (dated 9th December 1971) from the service department of the BSA factory. The letter was sent to an M20 owner in the USA, and this is a quote from this letter: 

From the serial number WM20 97102 which you quote, we would imagine that the machine would be produced around 1943. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to be more positive, as so many of our records were destroyed by enemy action during the war.”

image.png.4d6d654d67e5316e2948482f1a6151c3.png

Oops, the BSA ledgers that survived continue up to approximately WM20.70000 (late 1942). I thought that the Blitz happened much earlier…? Time to do some research! 

First of all here’s a detail from the Birmingham bomb census map (showing all the bombs that fell on B’ham during WW2). Black dots are High Explosive bombs, red dots are incendiary bombs, crosses are unexploded bombs. Looks as if the factory was hit by 8 bombs, one of these being a UXB that fell in the canal. Two (one HE, one incendiary) bombs fell on the entrance of the New Factory (left hand side of the illustration), one HE halfway Armory Road, one incendiary and one HE on the “Small Arms Factory” (is this where they made the guns I wonder?), and one incendiary and one HE at the back of the old Victorian factory (right hand side of the illustration). 

image.png.adbe1a3b0a38a5b476685738a8951b55.png

I used this map as an overlay on Google Earth, where you can also see aerial pictures from 1945 when you go through the timeline: 

image.png.9158eb706d8e26e6e1df649df6ce863a.png

This is the same area today:

image.png.d66257ca337bb1a8d214c2a72628bfbb.png

And this is the war time photograph with the bomb dots transferred from the bomb census map:

image.thumb.jpeg.6e1a86cbd67c3d97a20c1d382f69031b.jpeg

Transferred to another (post war) photograph:

image.thumb.jpeg.fab10322614ad58ac96ca20ac0410833.jpeg

Looks as if the black and red circles at the bottom of the picture above can also be seen in the painting below: 

image.jpeg.01797a6159e8bb79ba13950f09c89ce1.jpeg

Edited by rewdco
  • Like 3

But this is a document that BSA published shortly after the war: 

image.thumb.jpeg.d5246f058c14dbec324b2d64460754c5.jpeg

Once again, these were the bombs that fell on the BSA factory according to the "official" bomb census map… 

image.png.6dbdd2183ad624f35a748cf862c88c5b.png

… but according to the post war BSA document, it looked like this: 
(I'm just a bit unsure about which bombs were HE and which were incendiary bombs) 
image.png.d353120ace0286714b084c1e7b79c994.png

Interesting to see that according to the BSA document the "new factory building" was bombed in the opposite corner of what can be seen in the “official” map. We can also see that the factory was hit during three raids within three months: August 26th 1940, November 19th 1940 and November 22nd 1940.

• Like 3

Thanks to Google I also found some information on these bombings: 

On https://www.bsatrust.org I found the following quote: "Inevitably, the Small Heath BSA works was marked on Luftwaffe maps of the area as one of their main targets. In 1940 the factory was bombed 3 times in 3 months, killing 53 people, injuring 89 injured, and destroying more than 4 acres of the factory."

On https://thebirminghampress.com/2010/11/53-killed-at-bsa-works-19th-november-1940/ I found this: "On the night of the 19th November 1940 Birmingham suffered one of its worst air raids of the blitz when a German bomber dropped two bombs on the Armoury Road site of the Birmingham Small Arms factory at Small Heath. Many night shift workers that night had stayed at their machines when the sirens sounded. When they did decide to vacate the factory floor the intensity of the raid made it impossible for them to reach the air raid shelters safely. That night they chose to shelter in the basement of the reinforced concrete factory, only one worker would be pulled out alive after being trapped for 9 hours, the rest were crushed to death when the complete factory building collapsed on top of them after two direct hits. Wartime reporting restrictions meant that the raid could not be reported by the media."

More information about the November 19th air raid on https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/32/a2116432.shtml (very interesting article!!!). No doubt these are the two bombs (one HE, one incendiary) that fell on the entrance of the New Factory (left hand side in the previous illustrations). On https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_bsa&singer337.htm I found this: "a major air raid on 26th August 1940 damaged the main barrel mill and 750 machine tools causing disruption to production. Serious damage and loss of life was caused during heavy air raids on 19th and 20th November 1940, destroying the machine shops in the reinforced concrete building. The damage affected 1,600 machine tools and halted rifle production for three months, after which armament production was dispersed to shadow factories.”

Also according to the same website, August 26th 1940 was another black day for BSA ("a major air raid on 26th August 1940 damaged the main barrel mill and 750 machine tools causing disruption to production.”) Could this have been the incendiary bomb that fell on the “Small Arms Factory” I wonder? (see previous illustrations).

• Like 1

Research in the BSA ledgers has revealed that the motorcycle production didn’t stop or wasn’t delayed shortly after the August 26th air raid. It looks as if the factory where the guns were made had been hit on August 26th, rather than the factory where the motorcycles were assembled. 

The situation was different after the November raids. When I look in the ledgers, the production of the M20 was going strong until November 19th 1940 (approximately WM20.30000). Some bikes were despatched the days after the raid, but then we have a gap until the end of December! It looks as if the production of the WM20 was halted for a month due to this air raid!

image.thumb.png.02c23242498da338480c1313a77bbb5b.png

This is the daily production before and after the November air raids: 
1/11: 82 
2/11: 49 
3/11: none (Sunday) 
4/11: 65 
5/11: 85 
6/11: 81 
7/11: 82 
8/11: 89 
9/11: 39 
10/11: none (Sunday) 
11/11: 59 
12/11: 59 
13/11: 92 
14/11: 87 
15/11: 80 
16/11: 50 
17/11: none (Sunday) 
18/11: 57 
19/11: 67 
20/11: 33 (this is just after the air raid of 19/11) 
21/11: none 
22/11: 20 

From November 23rd 1940 onwards (this is just after the air raid of 22/11) the production was delayed until December 22nd 1940: 

22/12: 6 
23/12: none 
24/12: 24 
25/12: none (Christmas) 
26/12: 49 
27/12: 23 
28/12: 53 
29/12: none (Sunday) 
30/12: 46 
31/12: 58 
1/1/1941: 24 (New Year) 
2/1: 50 
3/1: 46 
4/1: 36 
5/1: none (Sunday) 
6/1: 50 
7/1: 47 
8/1: 52 
9/1: 50 
10/1: 57 
etc... 

The November air raids clearly had an effect on the production: not only had the production been delayed by a month, but the average production of 70 motorcycles per day had dropped to an average of only 35 bikes per day when the production resumed in late December 1940 - early January 1941. Also interesting to see that production continued on New Year's day! 

It is unclear to me how the 1940 air raids can be responsible for the loss of the 1943 onwards factory ledgers… 😕 Any further comments or additional information would be gratefully received! 

Hi @rewdco

And thanks for the research above.

I was born in this area, and even now can point out bomb damage and camoflage paint on buildings in the region.

The 19th November 1940 raid was very bad for BSA, and not just for motorcycles. This is a quote from WIKI

(On 19th November 1940)... the first major air raid was launched against Birmingham, when around 440 bombers attacked the city, killing 450 people and badly injuring 540. Around 400 tonnes of high explosives were dropped during the raid, including 18 parachute mines.

The raid turned out to be the most severe attack on Birmingham in the course of the war. A number of factories were badly damaged in the raid, including the Lucas Industries and GEC works.

The Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA) factory was badly damaged, causing loss of production and trapping hundreds of workers. 53 employees were killed, 89 were injured, 30 of them seriously, and rifle production was halted for three months. The resulting delays in productions reportedly caused most worries to Prime Minister Winston Churchill among all the industrial damage during the Blitz, so the Ministry of Supply and BSA immediately began a process of production dispersal throughout Britain, through the shadow factory scheme. A member of the Home Guard and one of the company's electricians were later awarded the George Medal for their bravery in helping the trapped workers.

Of course, it should be remembered that this wasn't in isolation. Coventry had been blitzed on November 14th to 15th creating a new word, Coventrated.

image.png.3b19b907191646892dfb1a48443424a6.png

You would certainly have been able to see Coventry burning from the BSA site (a friend who was a cycle messenger there on the night described it as 'the scene from Gone with the Wind of Atlanta burning', a film he'd seen at the cinema the same night), 

As you know all these vehicles are a sum of the parts, and many suppliers were clustered together in Coventry and Birmingham for conveience, so damage to, say, the Lucas factory might have a knock on effect at BSA. Birmingham as a whole was hit several times through November and December 1940, damaging many more factories and raw materials deliveries.

The last raid on the city was on 23 April 1943 when two bombs fell on Bordesley Green, so it is unlikely the records were destroyed then.

More likely they were just lost or disposed of as having no value in the post war period.

Not identified as BSA, but a very similar factory building in Brum hit at the same time:

undefined

From the collections of the Imperial War Museums.
Bomb Damage in Birmingham, England, C 1940 The wall of a large factory building has folded inwards following an air raid to this area of Birmingham. The building is an empty, roofless shell, but although the glass is missing, all the window frames appear to be intact, despite the semi-collapse of the building. On the ground floor, there appears to be little damage, as the windows have been protected by sand bag walls.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Edited by Le Prof
  • Like 1

Looks as if the Germans invented the word "Coventriert" (or "Coventrate").

IMG_3972.thumb.jpg.9c2802106acaf9e4e62db9e70c597fc4.jpg

I have been searching for the exact location of this aerial photograph. I can't recognise it as being Coventry.

1939_sp.thumb.png.4dc33811ffb9c9762df582abf002986c.png

• Like 1

Hi @rewdco

Yes, a word invented for German Propaganda. I've only ever seen it used in contemporary english once....

In the museum in Coventry they have (had, it's been a while since I visited), a German street sign saying 'Coventry Strasse'. It was souvineered off a German airfield postwar, where the streets on the field were named after targets...

Thanks for the photo challenge. (-:

Once you know that the orientation is with North to the bottom left corner, and that it's not central Coventry, that helps a lot.

It's a region to the north of Coventry, called Foleshill, Courthouse Green, Great Heath and Little Heath. This Google Earth image is in a similar orientaion. The straight road right of centre is Foleshill Road,

Just to the top of the image, and to the right of Foleshill Road is Courtaulds fibres (producing synthetic silks for Parachutes)

Where the road forks to the right just below that on this map, next to the last letter L is where a large underground factory was located below the recreation ground. This was known to people working on the Courtaukds Lockhurst Lane site as 'The Slab' due to the thick concrete roof. It was still there in the 1990's, but there's been a lot of redevelopment in the area.

I used to work at Courtaulds Research, and knew the site very well.

image.png.bfca9a822dfe59732361ffb7e5576d6f.png

I can't reorientate the map, but this area:

image.thumb.png.8041968d8c4687b666b908dcf426ea57.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

Edited by Le Prof
  • Like 2

I can see it now, spot on! Thanks Adrian!

I've done a similar research of the bombing of the Albion gearbox factory in Upper Highgate street, Birmingham, but I'll keep this for another thread... 😊 (unless you've already got some information...)

Hi @rewdco

I know a little about a lot (-:

I look forward to the Albion story, and iff I can add anything useful, I will.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Incidentally, some WW2 BSA papers are held in archive at University of Warwick and at Solihull Library. I keep meaning to go and look sometime when I"m in the region...

56 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Rewdco'

Interesting to see the scans from the BSA despatch records, looks like my WM20 was built/despatched, about 3 days before the bombing.

What's the frame / engine number of your BSA Richard? I may have additional information...

The "Morris Works" was also hit by several German bombs (thought all Morrises were made in Oxford...?). I wonder why the Morris factory was hatched in the German photograph...?

image.thumb.png.8041968d8c4687b666b908dcf426ea57.png.91bbad64fa66607b7a2d929a92458e21.pngIMG_3972.thumb.jpg.9c2802106acaf9e4e62db9e70c597fc4.jpg.978b1e00b61caff56ff78ec03191ddaa.jpg

Hi @rewdco @Richard Farrant

Richard is correct, this is the Morris Engines factory in Courthouse Green.

Sorry for the poor quality, it's the only version I could find.

The site of Morris Engines Ltd and bomb craters around the building, taken by the RAF just over a week after the raid (catalogue reference: AIR 34/734)

image.thumb.png.719544ab7794a5f1184eb2debca13163.png

There were apparently at least three Morris factories in Coventry at this time.

Morris Engines works at Courthouse Green (Above, North of the city center)

Morris Engines factory in Gosford Street ( East Central to the city center). Originally for French machine gun manufacturer Hotchkiss in 1916, this survives as the William Morris building of Coventry University. Until the late 1980,s (before being used by the University) it still retained disruptive camoflage.

In November 1940 it was one of the tallest buildings in the city, comprising five storeys. It received two direct hits to the roof from a 250kg and a 50kg bomb. Both bombs penetrated the roof and the floor below, and detonated on the second floor down. Despite this, machines were not seriously damaged and production was not seriously hindered

The Morris Bodies factory at Quinton Road (South of the city center) was a much smaller factory.

Best Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Morning.  Stunning piece of work!  I've only skimmed it; but come beer time, it will get my undivided attention! Would you mind if I posted some of the images on the RE BD History Group page? (with attribution, of course.)  I suspect some of the members may have additional information and photos.

The attached image shows three books that add to this story.  I recommend them all.  With the exception of the bomb damage hardback, they can be located on ebay at very reasonable cost.

Thanks again for all the work in compiling the data and a great post!

Adrian

IMG_1118.jpg

Hi Adrian, @Adrian Dwyer

I appreciate your positive comments, especially knowing a little of your background. (-:

Please feel free to use whatever I've written.

The bomb damage book looks interesting. There are now various interactive maps of this on the internet, but this was one of the ones I used for Coventry:

https://www.coventryatlas.org/map/overlays/1938-1944-wartime-city-centre-maps

Best Regards,

Adrian

1 hour ago, Le Prof said:

Hi Adrian, @Adrian Dwyer

I appreciate your positive comments, especially knowing a little of your background. (-:

Please feel free to use whatever I've written.

The bomb damage book looks interesting. There are now various interactive maps of this on the internet, but this was one of the ones I used for Coventry:

https://www.coventryatlas.org/map/overlays/1938-1944-wartime-city-centre-maps

Best Regards,

Adrian

Many thanks.  I will let you know if anything comes back.

Re: the bomb damage book, here is a page of possible interest to Matchless  aficionados .

A

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
addition

On 20th and 28th November Sergeant Sanders was in charge of two bombs, both 250kg, in the BSA factory, where guns were being made, and in the GEC Works. His section took just four and a half hours and three hours respectively, to dig down and render the bombs safe. For these incidents, he was awarded the George Cross. Page 71.

On 12th December Captain TH (Tom) Sharman received a call at 01.30 hrs, that there was a UXB in the BSA (Guns) works at Small Heath, Birmingham. He immediately set off with his section only to find he had been given the wrong location. After much searching he found the bomb at the BSA (Tools)  factory, some two miles away! However, having got there, work was started by 03.00 hrs and continued until 14.00 hrs on the 14th when the bomb was reached with the fuze being identified as a (17), it was successfully withdrawn and the bomb made safe. During the time they were working on the bomb there had been a heavy raid, with many bombs falling close by. Page 76.

Both incidents taken from The Dangers of UXBs Lt Col E E Wakeling

Pete

RE BD Historian

• Like 1

Looking beyond BSA's woes, Triumph in Coventry also fared badly in 1940.  There is a short piece at <https://www.tomcc.org/Home/News/ea06d98e44534266b5a5b982e860255d>.  The attached image is from J R Nelson's book 'Bonnie' (1979).  If anyone knows the whereabouts of the chromed  bodendeckel (repurposed as an ashtray) please let me know!

All the best.

A

IMG_1143.jpg