Antenna base I.D.

Hi 

Can somebody I.D. this antenna base. It has the British W.D. arrow . The cup is brass. 

Could it be part of Base No.1 - Or a ground antenna base for the 34ft mast ? 

base-1.jpg

base-3.jpg

base-4.jpg

base-5.jpg

I agree it's part of Aerial Base No.1 - I'm trying to remember if I have any details of the missing parts.

The original insulator material is Vulcanite - rubber that was hardened using extra sulphur in the compounding process.

(It doesn't need to be flexible, that's handled by the tension spring in the mounting, so you could make it out of almost any modern plastic: ABS or Delrin. The usual colour would be dark brown or black.

(The 34-ft Steel Vertical Aerial used Insulator W/T 'B', which had a similar looking top but tapered below the rain groove (rather than being cylindrical) and had a threaded socket on the bottom (same as the 'D' aerial rods) so it could be screwed onto the base spike. Later (WW2 and postwar) versions of the W/T B insulator were made from rubber and polythene  and other plastics (frequently mixed in the same unit).

Best regards,

Chris.

• Like 1

From memory, there were different versions of Aerial Base No.1, depending on the application. I think that three of them are detailed in the kit lists for the Wireless Set No.1 (or 11) in the appropriate Signal Training Volume III pamphlet - they were certainly different for the light tank and ground versions of the set.

Chris.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

OK thanks Chris. 

Yes I agree that the setup for each type of vehicle was different , in some setups i.e AFV the No.1 antenna base plate has a hinge so that the antenna can fold down 90 degrees and lay flat . 

Somebody in N.Z has a original base with the toothed mount. (pics from the MLU forum) 

There are a few reproduction cast toothed bases around , must have cost a small fortune to make these. 

aerial_base_stripped_014.jpg

aerial_base_stripped_016.jpg

aerial_base_stripped_017.jpg

FL15716693.jpg

this_and_thbutsis_145.jpg

this_and_this_144.jpg

Edited by goanna

That right hand base is for a different diameter aerial rod, and I suspect it's a very early one. (Maybe taking the rods made from "electron metal" (a magnesium/aluminium alloy for light weight) that was discontinued due to its cost?)

I'll have a rummage in Wireless for the Warrior Volumes 1 & 2 and the 1940 VAOS later to see what I can find out about them. (Maybe we need a thread on aerial bases - I have a lot of different ones but lacked the time and space to do it before I retired.) 

Best regards,

Chris.

Okay... 1940 VAOS section Z1 has some detail. The early mast sections were 3-ft by 5/8-in 16 SWG duralumin by the look of it, later masts used Aerial Rods 'D' from the 34-ft Steel Vertical Aerial (the "Golf Bag"), I think.

First column is 'Stores code" with ZA as a prefix, second is "List of Changes" reference number to entry in Army Orders, third is the detailed description (no photo's, it's all text I'm afraid). This is very early and the base(s) were specified for WS1, WS7 and WS9. It's a start, anyway.

Best regards,

Chris.

AerialBaseNo.1from1940VAOS.png.e5e0ef42c13d8ec27aa2fc6c52f54164.png

Hi Chris 

Yes this is not a straightforward subject, it needs more research. The VAOS data  you found only adds more to a ongoing and seemingly endless topic. 

The script on the N.Z. base reads: AERIAL BASE NO.2  Apparently this particular base is for a Bren Carrier but the rods that fit in it are the thick 7/8" type, which is confusing.

I have only ever seen the 3'  long rods 5/8" diam. rods that are a part of the 34ft mast kit .. I have two of the golf bag style kits dating from the early 1950s  with the Ebonite B cone that screws into a ground spike. 

AERIAL BASE NO.2-new.jpg

Posted (edited)

I suspect that the No.1 Mk1* aerial base was renumbered and became the No.2 fairly early on, as the Universal Carrier was initially fitted with the WS11. The 1940 VAOS included a lot of ancient (but still on the books) kit, including the MA, MB and MC tank wireless sets from WW1, which I doubt were still being used, even for training.

I need to fish out the Signal Training Volume III "pamphlets" for Wireless Sets 1, 2, 3, 9 and 11 and see what they have to say about aerial bases - they may even have photographs!

(The Steel Vertical Aerial rods are used "upside down" compared to the earlier ones, I suspect. i.e. with the socket end of the rod inserted into the base or Insulator W/T 'B', and the reduced-diameter threaded portion upwards - so that stayplates and the 'F' rod adapter can be screwed on easily.)

Best regards,

Chris.

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
revised the first line.