CNC vehicle plans Humber Scout car and SDKFZ 222

BC312

Question

Has anyone built one of the CNC vehicle plans armoured cars offered on Milweb a SDKFZ.222 and Humber scout car Mk1 or in the process of building one. What do you think and how are you getting on with the build? Based on a Range Rover chassis.

5 answers to this question

Funny that the Tank museum is showing off a replica Whippet tank named music Box this year.

This will be the world debut of the replica of the Whippet “Musical Box”. The build was conducted by Landships CIC and ran from 2019 to 2024 (with a break for COVID). It involved thousands of hours of workshop effort and research, including interviewing descendants of Musical Box’s crew, over 7 tons of steel for the fabrication, 1000 pretend rivets, 14km of welding wire, and 400 cutting and grinding disks. 

Another toy.

Did anyone see Warbird Workshop, they rebuilt a really early spitfire and it's accepted as an original, the son of one of the war time pilots even sat in it and seemed moved to think that his father had flown it . Of course his father hadn't flown in it and the only original bits appeared to be several taps, a very small panel and the restorer made a big point of telling us that the straps over the foot peddles would have originally  been fire hose, so that is what they used, other than that the whole plane was new. What they have created is a very expensive replica or toy that could sell for £4 million why not just be honest, it's no different to building a replica whippet but oh, how the builders of the whippet and other such creations are frowned upon even ridiculed for there efforts.  Personally I can't see what all the fuss is about, bringing something back to life that has long since disappeared or now sits motionless in a museum can only be a good thing but just be honest about what IT actually is and before anyone mentions it my Panzer II must be original as it has an original shovel attached to it.

Jon

Posted (edited)

The WW1 British Mk4 tank  that the Tank Museum displays and rides around at the big events is a War horse replica, why, The original one they have is too fragile to operate, the armour had become that brittle over time, every time the tank goes over a small rut or bump the crack in the armour opens up. The Weald Foundation FT 17 tanks they have the armour had to be annealed as it was full of cracks that had to be repaired. The armour turns like cast iron guttering, one smack with a hammer and it shatters. Speaking to those at the museum some tanks will have to be mothballed in years to come and replicas made because of this. If a replica is made exact to the original then i see no problem. Its nice to see an original but in years to come parts will have to be made ie replicas. Even now parts are hard to find for German tanks, fenders boxes and other parts missing have to be copied to make the tank look as it was or to make it function. The FT 17 tanks they have their carbs are exact replica copies or original as there are non about, plus a new batch of Rubber tyres have been made for the  Dingos recently ,replica copies to keep them going. So are they running around on toy tires?

Jeep parts are now re made in the far east, you can buy a tub or chassis to keep you jeep going as original parts are running out because people keep driving them about like a modern day runarounds but cant drive it as its now a  toy part better hide it in the garage how shameful to have anything connected to anything replica or should i say toy parts.

I believe when they build a spitfire or any other WW2 aircraft to fly the original parts are not airworthy they have been subjected to a crash so replicas of parts have to be made. Theres a guy in Canada building a Hawker Typhoon from ground up, he has all original parts but they cant be used they have to be copied, hardly a toy, 

Edited by BC312
  • Like 1

Many WW2 military vehicles in preservation are now running on 21st century air, and E5 fuel, and driven by owners whose parents were not likely to have been born in wartime. Such a shock for the purist!

And many of the WW2 Spitfires that 'haven't flown since' being recovered from, the Dunkirk beaches, lakes or dug up in France, do fly with their original serial number painted on the side, so I guess that makes them 'original' unlike those fake Me262s in Germany.