Where they cinverted to unleaded?

Hello everyone 😀.

I have just acquire a land rover series 2 engine (2.25 Petrol). On the side it has a badge fitted, indicating it was overhauled in October 1975 at workshop EC 02. Would anyone know if these engines were covnerted to unleaded at that time by any chance?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Joseph 

On 3/25/2024 at 6:03 AM, Camilleri said:

Hello everyone 😀.

I have just acquire a land rover series 2 engine (2.25 Petrol). On the side it has a badge fitted, indicating it was overhauled in October 1975 at workshop EC 02. Would anyone know if these engines were covnerted to unleaded at that time by any chance?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Joseph 

Hi Joseph,

I was building reconditioned engines at that period of time at ECO2 and can tell you that they did not carry out unleaded conversions to cylinder heads right through to when they closed in 1996.

Generally speaking a S2A  head would be  7:1  CR   ,   I have a crated cartridge FFR  

Document states  -  Duration of test  1 hour  (light run only)  dated  24-4-81   by  44 Command Workshops  REME   ,   Engine type  Rover 8-1  ,  the block is a new replacement  and is heavily engraved   23700813A and I am quite certain the head is new and it's a S3 type (it has the head casting number of that time) .   prefix  237 are quite rare  (I think these were 8:1 cr) ,  most S2A are prefix  236 and these were originally  7:1 cr.    I have only come across the infrequent prefix  237 engine.

I took the head off - to have a look ,  no hard seats - reason for part strip - was the Concession  -  Engine fitted with a 'sub-standard' shaft, rocker.  It will have no effect on the engines performance - well that's arguable.  What they did was to drill a new location pin hole and reversed the shaft  180 degrees  LoL   Good practice for some.

I have no opinion for if  8:1 cr is better than  7:1 cr when run on  E10  ,    since unleaded petrol & apparently more valve seat regression - I just use Wynns petrol additive & await a burn seat or valve  & then ponder blaming lack of lead or ethanol  ?

The first pet.  Defender  (known as  the 2.3) were  2286cc  - they IIRC received rotator valves but no hard seats & the  even later  2490cc  (known as the 2.5)  DID have hard exhaust seats , both Defender pet. engines had a Weber twin-choke and revised inlet/exhaust manifolds.   IMHO  the  S3  5mb engines are better than the  3mb engines ,  a Defender pet. engine costs more £ for any work you complete.   When I want a hard seat job - I will make a crate for the head & post it to Turners who have done lots ,  would not trust any of the local to$$er reconditioners.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 10:42 AM, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Joseph,

I was building reconditioned engines at that period of time at ECO2 and can tell you that they did not carry out unleaded conversions to cylinder heads right through to when they closed in 1996.

Thanks Richard that was very helfpul :)