CVRT steering brakes and main brakes

Simon D

I have been trawling through previous posts to find anything about replacing seals in the calipers and possibly in the master cylinders if necessary because of  different fluid spec requirements.

I am replacing the seals in the steering brake calipers with modern readily available seals. I am advised that the fluid required for theses seals is Dot 4. No problem but I am uncertain whether this fluid will be compatible with the original seals in the master cylinders which probably still have the OM oil in them . Will Dot4 attack these seals ?

If I need to replace master cylinders seals, please can anyone tell me what they are equivalent to in readily available items ? Someone somewhere mentioned Landrover ?

Thank you

Simon Duff in Devon

Simon,

I think the reason you’ve found no posts on this subject is because nobody has needed to do it before.

Is there a reason you’re doing this? CVRT  was in service for 50 years with ISO10 hydraulic fluid in the brakes and steering with no issues. 

Chris

Thank you Chris

I  bought a Sabre a few years ago in a very dilapidated condition and have at last started restoration. We have taken the turret off and the cage out and removed a lot of gear to enable digging out all the dirt. We have removed the engine and gearbox for the same reason and to attend to a known fault with the gearbox input. I am attending to all the separate units before replacing them and on examination of the calipers on the steering brake discs it was apparent that one was seized. I have sourced replacement pistons and seals but as noted I am told that Dot4 is the fluid spec for these. 

I am ignorant as to the suitability of ISO10 hydraulic  - is this comparable to Dot4 ?

Thank you

Simon

Simon,

It sounds like you’ve bought the wrong seals. They should be green if they are the correct ones for use with hydraulic fluid (mineral oil).

Do not mix DOT4 and ISO10. Do not put DOT4 in the CVRT unless you’ve replaced all the seals for suitable ones. What you want to do will work for the steering, providing you replace the master cylinder seals but I doubt you will find DOT4 compatible seals for the main brake callipers.

Chris 

Chris, you are a star !!  That is exactly the sort of help I need. The power of HMVF !!

I will contact that supplier and hopefully get the correct seals. The next problem is being able to give meaningful information with respect to identifying the master cylinders as it would seem sensible to replace those as well. Does anyone have info on the master cylinders ?

Thank you

Simon

Hi Simon.

I could help you with that, since I have done it recently. But I think Shirc put it on a plate for you...
Two observations if you can't find the Min19 seals at that supplier, Richard Banister has them. If you do not have practice changing the master cylinder seals, purchase a few more sets than you need, because it is easy to break one of the rubber seals when assembling it. If you think the master cylinders are too bad to recover, you also have them new or rebuilt at the usual dealers.

Thank you H, that is very kind of you and good advice. Sadly, Richard died in March. His wife and daughter are keeping the business going.

Now I have got a little further into the exercise I am learning more ! A great surprise to me this weekend, when I un-seized and dismantled the two master cylinders, was to find that the bore is 1” (25.4mm) not the 3/4 or 19mm I had been assuming from following the text of a previous thread which I found suggesting that they were commonly used on Landrover Series 2 and 3.

I have photographed the best one and discerned the numbers on it so I will use this information in my quest.

I will update in due course.

Simon 

48 minutes ago, hauptmanngurque said:

Hi Simon.

I could help you with that, since I have done it recently. But I think Shirc put it on a plate for you...
Two observations if you can't find the Min19 seals at that supplier, Richard Banister has them. If you do not have practice changing the master cylinder seals, purchase a few more sets than you need, because it is easy to break one of the rubber seals when assembling it. If you think the master cylinders are too bad to recover, you also have them new or rebuilt at the usual dealers.

I have rebuilt many master cylinders. The seals are a pain to do, however there is a method and once you know how to do it it’s not so bad. You need to soak the seals in hot water until they become soft enough to fit over the piston without tearing. This could be 5 mins, sometimes 10 mins. The grease in the kit also helps with this. I find it helps to clamp the piston in a vice so you can use both thumbs to push the seal on. Using tools will tear it.

Chris

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sirhc said:

I have rebuilt many master cylinders. The seals are a pain to do, however there is a method and once you know how to do it it’s not so bad. You need to soak the seals in hot water until they become soft enough to fit over the piston without tearing. This could be 5 mins, sometimes 10 mins. The grease in the kit also helps with this. I find it helps to clamp the piston in a vice so you can use both thumbs to push the seal on. Using tools will tear it.

Interesting about soaking them in hot water. Personally I do the same but with previously heated hydraulic fluid (warm) I will try water next time!

Edited by hauptmanngurque

39 minutes ago, Simon D said:

Thank you H, that is very kind of you and good advice. Sadly, Richard died in March. His wife and daughter are keeping the business going.

Now I have got a little further into the exercise I am learning more ! A great surprise to me this weekend, when I un-seized and dismantled the two master cylinders, was to find that the bore is 1” (25.4mm) not the 3/4 or 19mm I had been assuming from following the text of a previous thread which I found suggesting that they were commonly used on Landrover Series 2 and 3.

I have photographed the best one and discerned the numbers on it so I will use this information in my quest.

I will update in due course.

Simon 

I was unaware of Richard's death... the last time I ordered something must have been at the beginning of the year, and I noticed a certain slowness in shipping and treatment in general. but the spare parts arrived perfectly.

The Caliper seals in question are known as "lathe cut seals"
You can get them made at:-
M Barnwell Services Ltd
Unit 5 Windmill Business Park Windmill Road Clevedon BS21 6SR
General Tel: +44 (0) 117 982 5245  
At one time XMOD has the seals for the brake pistons (That's 3 pistons)
As for Carlise - way too expensive!
You may find some tractor brake  pistons may fit and have suitable  seals

Diana

Edited by Diana and Jackie
  • Like 1