10 Cwt….2 Wheeled Lightweight Liner Saw-bench Trailer Restoration

Little bit of rain dodging yesterday. 

Started to get the engine canopy in place. 
I’ve been fortunate enough to measure up an original saw bench, so I have exact dimensions to replicate. 

The canopy I have needs some minor alteration to fit in the trailer frame 

IMG_6381.jpeg

IMG_6382.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Prior to sending the engine cover in for sandblasting I thought I would do some work to straighten it up.
On face value the frame didn’t look that bad however the more I studied it worst it got…...

The rust between the joints was that bad only option was to drill the rivets out, clean out the rust, back to bare metal,. Some small new patches where the rust had come through. New angle iron uprights, prime and, fabrication of the new tool box, then riveted back together. 

IMG_9057.jpeg

IMG_9051.jpeg

IMG_9049.jpeg

IMG_9050.jpeg

IMG_9052.jpeg

IMG_9053.jpeg

IMG_9252.jpeg

IMG_9254.jpeg

IMG_9255.jpeg

IMG_9256.jpeg

IMG_9257.jpeg

IMG_9258.jpeg

IMG_9259.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Great day today. 

More progress than anticipated.
Beginning of the day my plan was to just get the chassis in topcoat. 
Then fall back to some basic assembly, tow hitch, springs etc,. 
As it happened, managed to progress onto some trailer assembly.
Just fell short of putting the back plates onto the axle. I thought before I do I’ll get another topcoat wile all the shackle pins are accessible. 
Once painted I can start to build the brake hubs back up hopefully get the trailer back on its wheels… 🤩🤩🤩

IMG_9668.jpeg

IMG_9675.jpeg

IMG_9676.jpeg

IMG_9677.jpeg

IMG_9678.jpeg

IMG_9682.jpeg

IMG_9683.jpeg

IMG_9684.jpeg

IMG_9685.jpeg

IMG_9686.jpeg

Edited by Jerryjeeprichard
  • Like 3

After getting the trailer back, sand blasting has revealed some interesting markings stamped into both the chassis and the axle. 

I’ve restored a few of these trailers and never come across markings like this. 

Do you think this would be common practice? 

Any idea what the makings mean? 

IMG_9669.jpeg

IMG_9670.jpeg

IMG_9671.jpeg

IMG_9672.jpeg

IMG_9673.jpeg

IMG_9674.jpeg

• Like 2

The circle stamped into the axle beam with letters in it. It looks similar or the same as the mark sometimes stamped into the old style brass vehicle identification plates when the vehicle has had a Base Repair or some level of inspection. As far as I know the letter relate to the workshop / inspector that performed the work / inspection.

Below is a inspection stamp on an military aircraft plate, but same system used for vehicles and other equipment. I have never located a document that links workshops to the stamp details. 

image.png.2f1f686649e690fdd1869f1096e628d0.png

I would think that in past the axle assy has had some type of modification, or rebuild and the line inspector has left his mark. I think if the there was a inspectors mark on the trailer ID plate that would cover the complete equipment.

On 9/1/2024 at 10:54 AM, B series said:

The circle stamped into the axle beam with letters in it. It looks similar or the same as the mark sometimes stamped into the old style brass vehicle identification plates when the vehicle has had a Base Repair or some level of inspection. As far as I know the letter relate to the workshop / inspector that performed the work / inspection.

Below is a inspection stamp on an military aircraft plate, but same system used for vehicles and other equipment. I have never located a document that links workshops to the stamp details. 

I would think that in past the axle assy has had some type of modification, or rebuild and the line inspector has left his mark. I think if the there was a inspectors mark on the trailer ID plate that would cover the complete equipment.

That makes sense. 

There are multiple stamps on the axle one on the left and one on the right. I guess at some point the bearings / oil seals have been overhauled. 

There are also stamps on the frame. I guess at some point the trailer has been overhauled too. 
Nice bit of history to the trailer. 

On 9/1/2024 at 10:54 AM, B series said:

This is a very engaging thread: your attention to detail is stunning.  As an aside, when I up-cycled my WW2 German coffee table, I found several stamping showing the progress of the bomb case: from turning, to welding, to pressure testing and, probably, filling.  Such marks, as you note, are an important part of an item's history.  I eventually picked out the lettering in a different colour paint for the amusement of fellow coffee drinkers. 

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
images

I have a question. 

Looking at the trailer manual there should be a Lucas 2 way switch fitted to the trailer. Linked to the Lucas junction box. 

On the rear of the trailer there is two sets of holes for the junction box, but no holes that would align for the switch. Any thoughts where the switch would locate??? And why would it be fitted with two junction boxes??? 

IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0464.jpeg