Piggie has green doors

hardyferret

Well, the MK 1 doors are fitted and all the MK 2 brackets removed so we are back as the pig would have been in 1970.

So I gave them a coat of bronze green, totally different shade to the rest of pig :dunno: :whistle:

So Christmas looks like a respray :-D along with refitting the ram, for the interested this will be the early 3 U / channel type which neither Clive or myself have seen preserved.

Made sense seeing Clive's is in it's RUC state, mine was also RUC like Clive's, a sister in fact !! So the reason behind having it in 1970 guise, when it returned to the British army. There are a number of normal MK 1's out there without ram's Paul's flying pig and a few MK 2's.

Just thought a different exhibit, and correct to it's era.

If anyone has any pig pics, especially with the flat 3 bar ram, would like to see :-D

Will try to port some pics of work :|

HF

Well there is the early 3-bar ram on this one that you saw on ebay & has been resold on milweb

http://www.milweb.net/webverts/36053/

Then there were at least 2 in BS. Here is the pic I tried to link to you earlier.

width=640 height=461http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/13BK05.jpg[/img]

Also have some originals (somewhere!)

What like this

No it isn't exactly, that was the RUC one which was adjustable in height & slightly snow plough in shape. The Army one was fixed, flat & spaced differently.

But that is a brilliant picture of 3071 EZ. I've not seen that pic before Lee & unlike many of the shots of the time that is nice & crisp. Got any more please?

The trouble with 3071 EZ that it was a standard Army FV1611 converted with a few RUC embellishments. It was to replace one of the fleet of the ten FV1609 that got written off in 1962 I think. But EZ always seemed to be at the forefront of any riot situation & got more pics taken of it than the rest of the fleet.

• 4 weeks later...

You must mean like this then :-D

Not entirely, but that is a very interesting picture Lee, for several reasons. I have not seen that lower spacing before on the early 3-bar rams. It was usually like this:

width=640 height=283http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/Ram3.jpg[/img]

So I wonder was the lower bar cut off & moved nearer to the ground to block things being rolled under the vehicle, like metal beer kegs? Or did it break off & then fitted lower. You can see plates showing how it was extended down.

Very unusual to see a mesh screen like this on a Mk2, more the province of Mk 1s like Paul's & my other one. This more substantial, shows no sign of attaching it to the bonnet in the down position. Perhaps it is up permanently?

Now what is really very interesting is the VRN of 27 BT 97 which indicates it was once a RUC FV1609. It has been re bodied from another vehicle, but as a FV1609 it was originally 32 BK 99 & was issued to the RUC in 1958.

Now what are these soldiers doing with this pig on some mud which it seems to have driven over a lot & a galvanised sheet behind them. Why have they no head protection? Despite this, why are they so relaxed? Why has the wing mirror not been replaced? Why are the wing mirror stalks not moved to the front wings as they soon were for improved vision? Is it because the wing mirrors are not needed? Why are there no radio aerials? Why is the mesh up permanently?

I think is because these soldiers know the worst that will be thrown at them is an empty tin can by others soldiers 'rioting'.

I think this was being used at a Northern Ireland Training Establishment in the late 1980s.

I think is because these soldiers know the worst that will be thrown at them is an empty tin can by others soldiers 'rioting'.

I think this was being used at a Northern Ireland Training Establishment in the late 1980s.

Well done Clive.. the title of this photo is Training for N.I. - Sennelager :clap:

Does anybody have decent interior pictures for a MK1 APC, there are stacks of widgety bits, ive worked out what some of it is for, i.e. where the Fire extinguisher mounts (behind the commander seat), but what are the four threaded lugs for inside, next to each antenna mount? are they for an interconnect box system?

and down next to where the pipes from the pump air filter and fuel filter go through the floor is another block of metal which looks like something attached to......Aren't pigs great!

How & what rear benches look like would be good as well! ;-)

Adam nice to see a Mk2 au naturel without all the pointy bits in red gloss, so not been owned by a MV enthusiast before? Or perhaps it was & it got a tarting up respray a while ago as the spray went over the rear vision block?

30 BK 35 was struck off by BAOR on 19/6/69.

Was recovered to Hilton on 5/9/79. Now that is very late as the 200 Pigs recovered in preparation for Op Bracelet took place in 1972. Bracelet finished in June 1973. So there is either an error on the record card or this received a Mk 2 body from a severely damaged or worn out Pig as the Mk 2 conversion kits would have been used up in Op Bracelet.

These were desperate times as automotive failure rate was high & re bodying was quite readily done. All the RUC FV1609s were re bodied & even 21 BK 96 received a new body in 1974 & that was once a Hornet!

Agree with Clive,

C'est tres bon ! an un molested pig is getting quite rare, shame about the two that are dissolving at Bovington :?

Would be interesting to sniff the washer bottle :| and see if thinners can be smelt :|

Looks a very nice example

HF

The Muckleburgh pig looked like it had just left Army service after sitting in a yard for a very long time, it was all very original and well used looking, i didn't find out where it had come from, one of the lads who restores the museum vehicles came over briefly when i took the pictures, and said it was a horrible thing to drive, then again he had only took it around the yard, so cold running gear and brakes in an unknown state would have made it interesting!

That is one massive bottle of windscreen wash for small windows!

By the way, if you look at the bottom of the instrument panel, there is an extended bit with a toggle switch fitted, what is it? my Pig has this, i thought it was an add on, but the bracket has FV stamped on it....

Ive got to admit, seeing it in as used condition albeit it a bit faded was interesting, looks like it has just come back from a patrol in Belfast.

By the way, if you look at the bottom of the instrument panel, there is an extended bit with a toggle switch fitted, what is it? my Pig has this, i thought it was an add on, but the bracket has FV stamped on it....

It is a biased up toggle switch to work the screen wash pump. As Jerry indicated sometimes solvent was added to disperse paint as the vision blocks were obviously a prime target. It wasn't an original fitting to a Mk 1 as there was no screen wash facility. Mk 1s deployed in NI did have the screen washers. These were from small jets mounted in holes in the bonnet & the wash bottle mounted on the scuttle where the Generator Panel was, the panel got moved to to the engine compartment on the front nearside. The pump was the the type fixed to the top of the water bottle was the type salvaged from early Lightweights - the type that was mounted on the inside above the drivers right knee. On bumpy ground it was very easy to get a wet knee >:(