RAF Austin K6 Signals 3 Ton Lorry

LarryH57

This RAF Signals Lorry has the Type 393  on the rear body (and Mk I below) to signify  a 3 Ton Tender equipped with a Twin Channel HF transmitter.

In RAF docs it has a Type Suffix of Type A and was often used with a similar Type 394

However, a Type 394 vehicle (likely another K6) was equipped with twin or four channel HF receivers (always wired for four channels) and had a Type Suffix of A, B, C, D

But what does the Type Suffix stand for? 

Logic might suggest it was nothing to do with the Radio Vehicle Type, (such as 393 or 394) - but is it just the number of sets carried?

Also when did Radio Vehicle Type go out of use, as I understand it was post WW2?

RAF Austin K6.jpg

Hi Larry,

The suffix indicates which specific equipment is carried. In the case of the Type 394:

A: two CR.100

B: four CR.100

C two AR.88

D four AR.88

The Type 393 only had the one set of equipment so they are all technically of the A suffix: two T.1190.

I posted a while back a scan I made of a 1946 document compiled by a signals officer, it can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsktp9df1bbntla/RVT Listing 1946.pdf?dl=0

All the best

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for the info and the attached.

Last point is when did the RAF both start and then discontinue with Signal Vehicle Type numbers such as Type 393 etc ( not to be confused with the Jan 1944 AMO for all Types)?

I heard it was 1944 to 1950s?

Edited by LarryH57