Does anyone keep Ruddington Auction Archives ?

rockyward

I am trying to track down my 1973 Lightweight Land Rover's entry in the Ruddington Auction Catalogue.

It's reg is 17FM71, I already have a copy of the B Card and have decoded the information contained on it.

I'm just after a copy of it's entry in the cataloue, nothing more.

Regards, Karl.

The next sale to that date was 3-4 Nov 1981 sale no. 171 but it was not in that one.

It was probably in sale no. 172 unfortunately I don't have that one.

It doesn't appear in sale no.173 28th April 1982.

Sorry about that.

Apart from small numbers through other Ordnance Depots, British Car Auctions seemed to have an increasing role in disposal., then there was MVS.

Does the record card not indicate the place of disposal?

• 1 year later...

I’ve been told that my 1955 Land-Rover was taken off its establishment ledger in January 1966.  Is it possible to check the auction records around that time for any relevant entry?

Its for interest only so if it’s a difficult task please don’t go to a lot of effort  

It’s NGY990 

Well I have looked through the six sales catalogues for 1966 & only found two Land Rovers NGY, but not yours. Bearing in mind each catalogue covers often four days of sales that is a lot of entries.

Although Land Rovers were generally sold with other small vehicles on the first day of each sale, but gosh each sale had many hundreds of Champs.

I may have missed it but I can't face going through them again, it takes longer not to find an entry than finding it!.

For good measure I have just checked the first sale in 1967 & not found it. But there were disposal sales other than Ruddington.around that time eg: Branston, Aston Down, Wem, Melton Mowbray, Alrewas etc. But I have only a few catalogues for those.

• Like 1

Thanks for your efforts.  It’s possible in my mind that the information that it was disposed of in January 66 could have been due to a typo - I’ve seen photos of NGY998 at FVRDE but my source was insistent that 990 was there although he never confirmed that 998 was on the ledger as well.  Do you recall if one of the NGYs was that one?  If so, it would add weight to its original allocation to Fort Halstead being correct. 

first let me say l do not recall been asked for details of NGY 998 Secondly there were a number of quarter ton land rover tenders at FVRDE IN THE NGY series as well as in the RGX attached is a page from the ledgers the the entry is faded and appears to be in pencil  but it is clearly 990. As to RUDDINGTON SALES catalogues l have a number but after spending this afternoon looking through hundreds of entries  for the above ngy 990.bmp

I wasn't going to look again but curiosity got the better of me.

NGY 897 was sold on 19/4/66 Sale No.83, Lot No.161 listed as Land Rover Fire Tender Series 86, 4x4. The dealer obviously liked it circled the entry in Biro & noted "OK 2 1/4"

Thanks for all your efforts, Wally and fv.  The query regarding 998 was in a different thread where you provided quite a lot of information but probably got lost in other questions. 

The extract is very interesting - do you think it could possibly be a badly written 999?   The loops are all the same size and there’s the beginnings of a tail…. 

It would make more sense if this was the case as the record certainly shows 7227 as a fire tender, which was definitely correct for 999 (and 998) but not for 990 which, from all evidence noted during the rebuild, shows no sign of conversion. 

l have looked very closely at the entry and it does have a mark  below the last number but it is hard to say

it is a unfinished number number nine as there are number eights that look like three's

Edited by wally dugan

Yesterday l had to put some more documents in to storage while there l took the opportunity to find the FVRDE ledger of establishment numbers allocated items this  is just a list of the numbers allocated to items or  vehicles and in the case of a vehicle the registration number  by looking at establishment number it confirmed that 7227 was allocated to NGY 999  l was WRONG in saying it was NGY 990. l will not alter the other ledger listing as that is how it looked to me but will attach a note  correcting the error 

Edited by wally dugan
  • Like 1