Volunteer Blog restorations

Jack

Several of our members have suggested that we have a restoration *Blog section on HMVF. A place where we can all follow a restoration project where the author updates it with detailed pictures and shares tips, success's, failure's and difficulties that are found along the way.

So I am asking for volunteers who would like to start their own blog of their restoration, doesn't matter what age of vehicle it is or what part of the world it came from!

Best wishes.

Jack.

* A weblog or internet diary. Weblogs enable users to publish short comments and ideas instantly for other people to read.

Best wishes.

Jack.

Jack. I'm a bit technology dim with this blogging concept.

Could individuals just up load stuff to their particular project as & when it happens, or would it have to go to a blogging manager to put it together & post it?

Does this have to be as it happens from now or can it have a retrospective content? eg I have a vehicle that I have spent 6 years restoring most of the work has been done but I still have more stuff to do. If I posted what I had done so far is that contrary to the ethos of a running diary?

Jack. I'm a bit technology dim with this blogging concept.

Yeah well you aren't the only one there Clive :cry:

Does this have to be as it happens from now or can it have a retrospective content? eg I have a vehicle that I have spent 6 years restoring most of the work has been done but I still have more stuff to do. If I posted what I had done so far is that contrary to the ethos of a running diary?

Seeing as you have already done the work and have some more to do then I think it would relevant so yes please.

Many thanks

Jack.

I,ll do one on my shorland if you want? started it about 2 months ago ive got tons of pics and some small movies (will I be able to post them also)?

Thanks.

Tyler.

Thank you very much Tyler would like to take you up on your offer.

Cheers.

jack.

Jack. You make it sound as if it,s the blind leading the blind! I am sure you are more technologcallyadvanced than most of us having had the umph set up this much needed & ever growing site (many thanks BTW)

So for the dim, how does one blog? Are there message pads like this & images linked to a photobucket sort of thing or do the images go up direct with the text? Or do you send up things in a pdf, or Word format.

Do you have to register to establish a blogging place or can you just do it. Is the blog place password protected so that jokers can't put inappropriate pics. I'm not thinking rude so much but a picture of a rusty chassis just when you are getting to the end of the restoration, could be someone's idea of a larf.

Is there a place for suggestions & comments & chat as result of something seen? Or is it like reading a diary but not able to interject?

So maybe a blog FAQ section would encourage people to be forward coming?

Jack. You make it sound as if it,s the blind leading the blind! I am sure you are more technologcallyadvanced than most of us having had the umph set up this much needed & ever growing site (many thanks BTW)

You want to bet.....Iam learning as I go along :?

So for the dim, how does one blog? Are there message pads like this & images linked to a photobucket sort of thing or do the images go up direct with the text? Or do you send up things in a pdf, or Word format.

Do you have to register to establish a blogging place or can you just do it. Is the blog place password protected so that jokers can't put inappropriate pics. I'm not thinking rude so much but a picture of a rusty chassis just when you are getting to the end of the restoration, could be someone's idea of a larf.

Looking into it as we speak as I don't know :oops:

To make a blog.

1: you have to subscribe to a blog generator/host. (free)

2: you access you administration interface with a password.

3: you upload pictures to folders

4: you create articles with online web editor, without any HTML knowledge required.

5: you can sort articles by category (i.e. Chassi, Motor, Body, Sheetmetal, Brakes, etc...)

6: visitors can leave comment on each article.

7: you can link to other website or forum wherever you like.

8: for movie files you can use a free files hosting server as http://rapidshare.de, with a link to each file on your blog.

I didn't look for a english language free blog hosting server at the moment, but for an exemple here is the link to a blog of a french guy who is restorating his Dodge WC52. You can follow it step by step. http://wc52.over-blog.com. This blog is made and hosted with Overblog, which is a french serveur.

Well... my GMC and my Dodge are already restored. But I'm going to restore my Ben Hur trailer. Well, she's already in pretty good shape but will need paint. So I plan to part it out totally and check everything.

I'll take pictures of each steps, as usual, and then I may create something on the web with. But I'm also planning to make a website about US army in WWII. I will need time for that. :?