Which online shop is good for Zenith 36V spares for a Lwt Land Rover?

LarryH57

Dear Richard,

Thanks for the info. Im looking for a shop like this that will supply individual parts as it seems every time i want a gasket or ring seal (between the top and bottom part of a Zenith 36 IV) i have to buy a refurb kit, with bits in it I'm unlikely to use, as I have so many left over parts of the same.

A follow up to this thread is the state of the parts I needed to replace. A couple of weeks ago I thought it was time to take the Lwt Land Rover for a run. However,  this time instead of starting nicely, it ran really rough giving the feeling it was running on three cylinders. It was also belching black soot type smoke from the exhaust. At first I feared I had a broken value or even a piston. A compression test on the cylinders confirmed they were okay and the coil, dizzy cap, plugs and leads were all swapped. As is often the case it was the last place I looked;  the carburettor and surprisingly the gasket between the two halves of the Zenith was mashed, and the 'o' shaped rubber seal between the upper and lower halves had expanded and was loose, compared to the replacement I fitted from my spares. Once back together the Lwt ran beautifully!

This makes me wonder if ethanol was the cause of the damage even though it has only ever had E5. Normally if it works I will leave alone but it does make me think a look at the inside of the carb needs to be inspected every few years.

Not Ethanol related.   Lay up for 6 months + and you get the gasket problem -  going back over 40 years I have removed the gaskets totally cream crackered in bits abt. 6mmx6mm , fortunately not more than 1 mile from home.  It is lack of petrol sloshing around and keeping the gasket damp.  The O ring is a known problem  -  but not related.

Going back to abt. 1970 -  ISTR the gaskets were made from a better layered sandwich was more reinforced rubberized in centre.  You probably have come across the fine cork crumb type.   It could be that Ethanol will attack these because the cork binder glue is rubber.

Yes ,  every single part was listed for  36IV  ,  I don't know what the supply situation is now - gasket is a fast mover so should still be available.  I last purchased  abt. Y2K from a  LR authorized dealership 10 qty.  I should still have some  Small items like this used to be min. qty.  5  - as packed more for dealers & for reasons of % discount..