Split rim lorry tyre fitting in SE?

Meekumslr

Hi guys,

I have two really nice remould lorry tyres to go on a Coventry climax fire pump trailer but the usual guys who fit the tyres now say they have to be brand new with receipt in case of a blowout and the customer claims??

Does anyone know where I could get two trailer tyres (6.50 x 20), put on two newly painted split rims in London, Kent or Essex?

many thanks in advance,

Neil.

If they are going onto split rims then fitting them is really a job that you can do yourself. The hard part is removing the old tires which have generally welded themselves in place. Just don't pinch the tube when bolting the two halves of the rim together and make sure that the valve is poking out of its hole comfortably before inflation.

David

Oh, getting them off is ok, I don’t mind removing valves and building up a sweat but inflating needs to be done in a cage. If the rims aren’t seated correctly, they will kill you, without a doubt.

I wouldn’t Mind doing them as the wheels have been blasted, primed and painted so they’re ready to fit but I’m just very nervous due to all the bad press.

They are easy enough to do.  If nervous wrap a tow rope or a chain round the outside of the tyre and through any holes in the rim, then if anything lets go it can't travel.

Put the wheel face down, clip an inflator to it, and then use a remote tap to inflate.  Loads of precautions and you'll be fine.