Another Bedford with winch

Stableboy

Under the non original, postwar constructed, breakdown truck body on the rear of my Bedford MW, there is a winch... obviously should not be there, so will be coming off and seeking a good home...          in place of the usual tyre pump on the gearbox, there is a pto with a manufacturer's plate stating 'Martin Harper', driving a propshaft on the nearside approx 6 foot long to the winch which is siting behind the rear axle; this second propshaft has necessitated the shortening of the exhaust pipe just behind the silencer box, and the repositioning of the nearside shock absorber arm to a near vertical position, all of which has to be corrected after removal.   

The winch has the initials DBS on its housing, and in awkward place to photo, the name Kadicon or Sadicon near tbe cable drum..

Can anyone please tell me more, ie is it of a QLB or maybe a Canadian vehicle...and is this wartim, or a postwar kit to fit any Bedford gearbox..?

More photos to follow

174266481_166571465348089_445922269670408933_n.jpg

174166886_363830244987250_9050934517377608724_n.jpg

Edited by Stableboy

Martin Harper was a well-known manufacturer of PTOs to fit a wide range of gearboxes, and, as an example, the hydraulic pump in my Iron Fairy 6 crane is driven by means of a Martin Harper PTO fitted to the BMC gearbox of the crane.

The initials DBS on any kind of gearbox I associate with David Brown 7 Sons, well known makers of such things and still in existence today (now David Brown Santasalo).

I am no expert on dating the parts you have but my instinct says that they are probably post-war.

3 hours ago, Stableboy said:

The winch has the initials DBS on its housing, and in awkward place to photo, the name Kadicon or Sadicon near tbe cable drum..

Can anyone please tell me more, ie is it of a QLB or maybe a Canadian vehicle...and is this wartim, or a postwar kit to fit any Bedford gearbox..?

The wording you can see is Radicon, they were well known for worm drive gear units and part of David Brown gear company.

The winch is definitely not from a QL as they used Turner and Wild winches and very unlikely to be original equipment on a Canadian vehicle.

• Like 1