Jerry can suitability

MIKES

Question

I recently was given a black 'plastic' 20 litre can which has the  'water' formed into the side of it. It was full of oil of an unknown grade which I've subsequently taken to the recycling at the local tip as definitely not worth risking it in anything I own.   I can't use the can for water now but would like to use it for diesel. Does anyone have any experience of this. I don't want to put diesel in it if there is a chance of it effecting the can or contaminating the diesel. Just seems a pity to not be able to use the can.

4 answers to this question

That is unfortunately why I stopped using metal jerry cans. The red paint came off unbeknown to me and caused no end of problems.  I've given the plastic can a swill with diesel to get rid of the oil. Hopefully all will be well.  I know that modern fuels which have a percentage of bio-ethanol in them can cause problems. Apparently the worst is fibreglass fuel tanks and modern petrol which attacks them.

Provided I have done up the cap firmly. I've never had water leak out. Maybe that is because water has quite a high surface tension but the surface tension of fuel is much lower & able to seep through?