Anti aircraft machine gun mounted on Martian

Quadman42

There are four ball mounts on the reinforced cupola on the Martian, looking through the technical statements it appears that these were the mounts for AA machine guns. Does anyone know which gun in particular as they are all equidistant from each other and all the mounts I have come across are tripodal 

This topic cropped up a couple of years ago on this forum.  As shown above, the mount was intended for the B vehicle fleet generally and a large number of short-barrelled .5" Brownings were procured. They were put in storage but appeared pretty much for the first time for OP CORPORATE. There are a few pictures floating about of their being used on ground mounts.  The cupola ring was similar across the fleet identified by the little ball mounts. At some point the idea faded away as, for example, it was only the early batches of Bedford RLs which had them, the later ones having a simple plain cupola with no mounting.  I think someone on the forum imported some of the mounts  and passed them on to members. 

IIRC it was member 'Artists Rifles' who found a source for the mounts. There was a picture on his Militant thread.

All 4 versions of the Martian had the ball mounts as did many Militants and Constructors.  Don't remember seeing them on Antars or later RLs as mentioned above.

53 minutes ago, 10FM68 said:

This topic cropped up a couple of years ago on this forum.  As shown above, the mount was intended for the B vehicle fleet generally and a large number of short-barrelled .5" Brownings were procured. They were put in storage but appeared pretty much for the first time for OP CORPORATE. There are a few pictures floating about of their being used on ground mounts.  The cupola ring was similar across the fleet identified by the little ball mounts. At some point the idea faded away as, for example, it was only the early batches of Bedford RLs which had them, the later ones having a simple plain cupola with no mounting.  I think someone on the forum imported some of the mounts  and passed them on to members. 

I think it was me who put Artist Rifles on the trail of the gun mounts as I had come across unissued ones in Australia on sale at an event there. I understand they were made over there but to a British design. Do not think they were ever used as they were found still crated in scrapyards. I believe the Australians would have used them on their International ACCO type trucks. Big and unwieldy things!

40 minutes ago, Quadman42 said:

Thanks for this , I have emailed my cousin in Perth to see if she can find any.

no time like the present lol

Hi Quadman,

Just to narrow your search down, the mounts were found in NSW, the other side of the country. One guy was had some for sale has passed away this year but there may still be some mounts around.

6 minutes ago, Quadman42 said:

Thank you for the info. Would you have the part number or accurate description of the mount, or even its military NSN

I am afraid I have not got that information. The guy to ask on the forum is Artistrifles as he got some in from Aus and may have details, try sending him a PM