Hand held fuel pump

LarryH57

In changing the fuel tank in my Lwt I hit a problem in that the drain plug nut just wont budge as it has been on there for 40 years. I need a hand held no fuel pump to remove about 20 litres of old petrol to a Jerry can. I want no risk of sparks from anything electric. So what do you recommend that is fairly cheap that can be cleaned after use and put away for next time. I did have one a few years ago but the fuel reacted with it so it never worked a second time!

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely I remembered I had a WW2 styrup pump that I bought at a jumble sale for £3. After I removed the leg by drilling out the rivets, it worked a treat on pumping out the 30 lts of petrol! Now that the leg with circular foot has been removed I can restore it. I gave it a clean in case the petrol affected the seals. Now of course, what shall I do with the old fuel which is 2 or 3 years old?

Once you are using the vehicle regularly, I would put 5 litres of stale in every time you fill it up.  Make sure that any sediment does not come over.  I did this quite a lot with my Perkins 4208 in my SII rover in order to use up petrol / diesel contaminated fuel.  I was obviously careful not to let the viscosity go down too much.  You should not have a problem with a little bit of stale fuel.  It is not easy to burn it off safely and cleanly.

I guess my Lwt that runs on fuel perhaps 6 months old would be a better user of old fuel than my car which has also sorts of management systems and warning lights! But apart from sediment is there any other dangers like water in the fuel, not that I saw any?

A local scrap yard drains all the fuel from vehicles into jerry cans prior to dismantling and then puts the jerry cans in to a chest freezer. After a few days they bring the cans out and pour off the fuel and then upend the can over a catchment basin for the ice to melt. Pure genius.

Edited by robin craig
  • Like 1