Which pattern Tyres did British Vehicles use in Europe WW2?

Tony B

Question

The reason for this question is that having looked at the WW2 LRDG site there is a picture of a Cheverloet. This thing has a mixed collection of tyres including the Diamomd pattern that I associate with Norway. So I know that vehicles were shipped with small utility tyres and no spare, they being fitted with normal tyres on arrival. But was there a regulation pattern for British Vehicles in Europe and did it differ where the vehicle was sent?

8 answers to this question

The reason for this question is that having looked at the WW2 LRDG site there is a picture of a Cheverloet. This thing has a mixed collection of tyres including the Diamomd pattern that I associate with Norway. So I know that vehicles were shipped with small utility tyres and no spare, they being fitted with normal tyres on arrival. But was there a regulation pattern for British Vehicles in Europe and did it differ where the vehicle was sent?

As far as I know, there was no regulation pattern for tyres, it was as the vehicle came from the factory with. If they were fitted with different tyres, then this was a local fitting. I have copied 3 pages from the Data book of Wheeled Vehicles to show tyres in British use in WW2. Please note that GP and CC tyres are very similar tread patterns, but GP tyres are of lighter construction than CC tyres. As GP tyres were therefore cheaper than CC tyres, this is what Ford UK fitted to their vehicles in WW2.

width=640 height=552http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/woa2/img102.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=551http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/woa2/img101.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=567http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/woa2/img100.jpg[/img]

Thats interesting,................In pic listings above, the Dunlop sand tyre (top left) in desc states it got 'sand' stamped in side wall;................I've 3 of these, (two on front wheels on Bedford and one spare), but none have sand mentioned anywhere on them. (and yes, they are genuine 40's tyres)

Ahh, the good old days when tyre's carried the legend, ' British Rubber Company'............... :-)

Thats interesting,................In pic listings above, the Dunlop sand tyre (top left) in desc states it got 'sand' stamped in side wall;................I've 3 of these, (two on front wheels on Bedford and one spare), but none have sand mentioned anywhere on them. (and yes, they are genuine 40's tyres)

Ahh, the good old days when tyre's carried the legend, ' British Rubber Company'............... :-)

I have 2 of these tyres on my WOT2, and both of these do not have 'Sand' on them either. Strange....

I have just read the british jeep in WW2, and they used anything they could get their hands on. They had teams to scavenge any useable tyres from any vehicles.

Which would account for the pics of jeeps sometimes seen with several different patterned tyres on the same vehicle.