What is this light for?

Richard Grosvenor

Hello,

It's in a panel mounted in the middle of the vehicle, between the air vents.

The panel also houses two pull switches, one for the Fog light, the other for the hazard lights and then there are two illuminated warning signs, the one with REAR GUARD and the other says BRAKE ( I'm guessing this is for low brake fluid)

:?

Cheers

Richard

The panel also houses two pull switches, one for the Fog light, the other for the hazard lights and then there are two illuminated warning signs, the one with REAR GUARD and the other says BRAKE ( I'm guessing this is for low brake fluid)

Richard,

The REAR GUARD warning relates to the rear fog lights which were refered to as Rear Guards. My memory is dimming now, as it is at least 10 years ago since I had a lot to do with the Army's fleet. If you put the rear guards (fogs) on, this warning should come on. If it comes on when using any other light on the rear, flashers I think you said, then I would put it down to a local earthing problem at the rear and it is feeding back to the rear guards. Get someone to operate the lights while you observe what happens at the rear.

Re. the BRAKE warning light, it may be low level warning, but I cannot remember there being a switch in the filler cap. I think you will find it is connected to a switch in a shuttle valve in the brake circuit. This is in case a pipe is damaged and one axles brakes loose fluid, the valve should move over and seal the damaged line off, thus retaining brakes on the other axle. If this happens, the switch activates the warning light. there should be a brake "press to test" switch on the centre of the dash.

Richard

Hello Richard,

I will check that out tomorrow, it makes sence that REAR GUARD is the fog lights.

You say about the "press to test" switch, earlier tonight I had a look at the panel and now you pointed it out there IS what looks like a button. I thought that it was just a blanking plate covering a hole used for something else ( it was dark!)

What happens if I do press it?

Many Thanks

Richard

Hello,

I checked it out today, I hadn't realised but the REAR GUARD light flashes with either left or right indicator, but not with hazards. But the Fog light itself doesn't flash when using the indicators, so that's lucky.

Also, the REAR GUARD doesn't light up when the Fog light is on.

Looks like the multi-meter will be in use soon!

The PRESS TO TEST switch has been removed! :cry: I had a look behind the panel and there are still two wires coming from the warning lamp and heading off through the bulkhead but I haven't yet traced where they go. I can't believe how many wires there are behind such a small panel!

Many Thanks

Richard