Land Rover wheels

Surveyor

Question

7 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, sirhc said:

There isn’t one?!

Sorry trying to get clarification, why say Land Rover has Wolf wheel, as if I pick you up correctly there is no difference.

As I have both MoD and looking at civie want to make sure can use both or neither

Richard

Wolf wheels are different, but standard rims and Wolf rims can be fitted with the same tyres. The Wolf wheels are heavy duty and have holes in them. The Wolf has longer studs so when fitted to a non Wolf Land Rover the nuts are a few threads short and a warning plate was fitted to the dash. 

There are both 'Wolf' type in  TUBELESS  (with bead safety hump) and also 'Wolf' type in  Tube Type.

Likewise there are both TUBELESS and Tube Type in the earlier Wellbase rims.  TUBELESS originated on civvy market with the PUMA Defender (Ford  DuraTorq  days , & Safari type rear door that was galve. frame & zinc plated cladding,  LR back-doors had a bad reputation for  50+ years)

Most for sale new on  "after-market"  will be  OEM  proper , probably made in Italy or Denmark.   You need to make full enquiries.

My understanding of things is that 'Wolf' wheels are on the variant of the Defender known as a Wolf TUM/TUL - they have Mini Cooper-esque circular holes around the wheel. They have a greater offset than some of the earlier types of Land Rover wheels so - for example - fill out the wheel arches on a Series III more than standard SWB rims or even some types of LWB rim. This means they - and pattern copies - have become popular as an aftermarket fitment for Land Rovers. 

Another reason for their popularity is that they are tubeless (certainly the ones I have seen and those I have on my Series III) which means that they offer convenience when it comes to tyre choice/fitting and punctures. Many tyres will fit them - 235/85R16 in particular. 

Wolf wheels are just a variation on steel wheels. Stronger and look a bit different, as Sirhc said.

As for tyes, tubes or no tubes.. pretty much lies with the tyre you choose. I have wolf wheels on my 110 and after the G90 Goodyears wore out I chose Copper STT Pro LT235/85/16 tubeless. Look good and suit the military 110, and also great on and off road. Although, as with many, quite noisy! But so is a land rover.

20190423_120141.jpg

Edited by paul connor