MTRS no.

Rick W

Question

4 answers to this question

Rick. I have gone through all my official glossaries but nothing matches up. I wondered whether it corresponded to an EMER Mod or Inspection Standard.

There were a series of Jeep publications in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES V401-V408 between 1948 to 1956. I have gone through these & can't really see reference to anything that is on your vehicle.

Although the diagrams are marked VW then V403 over 1-10 etc. But this is just the EMER regulation ie V403 over the diagram reference number. Although I think they should have labelled their diagrams as WV rather than VW.

(for EMER fetishists, rather odd to find Jeeps in this section as WV V*** was later used for wheeled armour)

Thanks Clive, its on my Willys 1942 chassis, its got a British registration plate and an overhaul date of 3/53, the MTRS no. is B380, then inspection WV3 over the numbers 139. Thanks

Rick and Clive,

I think you will find that MTRS is something to do with the Ministry of Supply and their contract overhaul scheme for vehicles and components. The number B380 is reminiscent of the numbers used to identify AAW, Army Auxillary Workshops. These were often civilian garages, such as B269, Henlys at Weston-Super-Mare. AAW was in use during war period and after, I think MTRS came along in the Fifties and at a wild guess would think it could stand for "Motor Transport Repair Shop".