CVRT Concentric gearbox output shaft oil seal replacement

Has anyone replaced the output shaft oil seals of a CVRT Gearbox? If so how did they do it?

All the output seals on my CVRT Gearbox are leaking, I have the seals, and I can probably do the outer seal fairly easily - but the inner seal maybe more difficult.

Any tips or tricks would be helpful?

Diana

Hi Diana,

From my memories of around 25-30 years ago, the outer seals were renewable by workshops, but inner seals were part of base repair. However, I found a way of doing them and the vehicle examiners allowed me to do it. There are some special tools required to do the outer seals. I recollect having to stand the transmission on end to do the inners to keep things in place. If you have a sectioned drawing of the box then it will give you an idea of what is what. I do not have one to hand here and a lot of vehicles have passed through my hand since that time, so memory is a little vague at present.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

I think I am getting my inner and outer seals confused. The smaller seal I believe can be removed with a Laser Tools part 6179 castle lock ring tool (for a Kawasaki motorcycle).. The removal of castle lock ring which has already been butchered on my gearbox, allows access to deal with the smaller seal, it's the larger seal that presents the problem.

At least knowing the box has to be vertical is a start 🙂

Tomorrow I will post a scan of relevant part of the box so that you may be able to enlighten us further !

Thanks again for your invaluable input .....

Diana

Here is a scan of the output shaft(s).

The seals are items 42 and 32, there are also associated O rings items 44 and 45 . I spoke to Trelleborg some time ago and they confirmed that whilst The British Army use PTFE seals for our applications it's quite satisfactory to use standard seals.

Gearbox seals0001.jpg

A picture of the output coupling and castle lock ring. Subsequently the castle lock ring was found to be loose, underneath the washer was an O ring and a rubber washer, who's purpose is to stop oil leaking out of the box. If the castle lock ring is loose then oil is going to leak past the washer..

I managed to remove the output coupling, the oil seal had gone hard, another cause of a leak.

20190325_121233.jpg

Edited by Diana and Jackie