Foden 8x4 DROPS

In the fording trials posted by Keith Sanders there is a photo showing an 8x4 low mobility Foden delivering a Muir Hill tractor using a DROPS type system.  My book of army reg numbers has Foden 8x4 17GB85/87/88 clearly listed as DROPS but I was under the impression that DROPS only referred to the later 8x6 Leyland DAF and Foden models. The rack and handling arm are slightly different, were these a conversion by Boughton or some one similar and how many were produced?

drops171.thumb.jpg.3605573d6c4a50727781ff3347aeb311.jpg

29 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

I thought the rack system on the 8x4 Foden was called Ampliroll or similar, and made by Boughtons.

Could be, Ampliroll is a US system made by Marrel.  The Foden kit looks like an adaptation of a commercial 'big hook' system used for collecting waste bins but I don't remember it ever being referred to as DROPS.

1 hour ago, wally dugan said:

The hook is a multilift mk 1v full technical description can be found in 2320-r-302-101 also can be seen clearly in the Scammell / Foden drops trial video

Indeed Wally but the 8x4 Foden has a different arrangement without the extra pivot and rams at the end of the arm as seen on the 8x6 versions. It predates the later DROPS by some 15 years.

Edited by radiomike7