Spitfire over Essex.

snowtracdave

We felt so lucky tonight , so privileged : Just finished work & sorting gear out in the yard when we heard the unmistakable sound of a Spitfire right over us . Our side of Colchester seems to be designated as an area for aerobatics so we do occasionally see something interesting but watching the lovely old warbird looping and rolling right over us tonight was just magical and the sound of those engines always brings a lump to my throat .

Don't know where it comes from - Duxford and North Weald are both close at hand as the fighter flies and unfortunately I didn't have binocs or camera to hand to identify any markings , other than the D Day wing markings.

Wonderful .

Oh Wow,....................... :-)

Certainly a magnificent sight.................I always get a 'tingling' when any of the memorial flight fly past.

Down here, we have an event called Airborne,....well a couple of years age, on a friday afternoon, I was just heading out shopping,(y'know,..keeps the brownie points up :whistle:), just pulling into shop carpark, when the growl of something large filled the air,...................did anyone take any notice,..............No, (as far as I could see)..........for the next few minites, I was transfixed by the scorce of said noise, namely, Lancaster.........which procided to fly around in lazy circles around where I was standing;

A real treat to behold. :-) :-)

yeah its nice to see a any of the WW2 warbirds in flight although i have been privilaged, i have been in a lancaster and a B17 and i have seen a fair old few spitfires, hurricanes, P51's.

its really nice to see em still doing what they do best

seeing things like Spitfires in flight, particularly a Lancaster really is the reason why we should preserve the old junk we do!1 :-)

You can look at pictures etc, but when you actually see something in the flesh, like the Lancaster flying over you, that really is the mutts wotsits, you can hear it coming for miles, then stand transfixed (well I did) when it flies overhead.

A couple of months ago, a Hurricane and a Spitfire flew over our work. I could hear their engines ages before they came into view, then watched for ages until they flew out of sight, still occasionally catching the throb of their engines, brilliant! :-D

seeing things like Spitfires in flight, particularly a Lancaster really is the reason why we should preserve the old junk we do!1 :-)

You can look at pictures etc, but when you actually see something in the flesh, like the Lancaster flying over you, that really is the mutts wotsits, you can hear it coming for miles, then stand transfixed (well I did) when it flies overhead.

A couple of months ago, a Hurricane and a Spitfire flew over our work. I could hear their engines ages before they came into view, then watched for ages until they flew out of sight, still occasionally catching the throb of their engines, brilliant! :-D

Totally Agree,............. :-)

Whats really amazing is the number of people who take not a bit of notice;

Was at an event,(non MV) a few years age,.........and unknown to any of us visitors, one 'old boy', there was an ex mustang pilot,...........and the organiser knew someone who owned and flew said plane;................and had organised a fly past in honour of said 'old boy',............................fly past was at about 150 feet. !!.................. :-o. AMAZING...................but there were folk there who apparently took no notice !!...............

HOW DO YOU NOT NOTICE THAT !! :dunno:

on the other hand....

when I brought the militant down to work the other week, I had somebody from work follow me, to pick the pieces up etc! He said that I was causing chaos, not because we were travelling down the motorway at 30mph, but because all the traffic passing us, and the stuff going the other way, were slowing down to have a better look! :-)

My favourite were the workmen on a new bridge, who nearly commited suicide leaning out of their 'cherry picker' crane to get a closer look, as we passed underneath :-D

on the other hand....

when I brought the militant down to work the other week, I had somebody from work follow me, to pick the pieces up etc! He said that I was causing chaos, not because we were travelling down the motorway at 30mph, but because all the traffic passing us, and the stuff going the other way, were slowing down to have a better look! :-)

My favourite were the workmen on a new bridge, who nearly commited suicide leaning out of their 'cherry picker' crane to get a closer look, as we passed underneath :-D

We too do color the days for a lot of people, just like the spits and lancs color our days. Just went hiking into the mountains for a few days with two dodges and a trailer which is a nice sight together, we had people slowing down and staring. As long as we don't mess up traffic people love us.

Marty