Pictures of my new Lightweight

Bilbo42

I was finally able to get my camera back and have included a couple of pictures for all. The lightweight is a 1974 RHD petrol FFR still in 24volt. I am sending off for the vehicle history in a couple of days. It seems to be all there except that it does have a commercial Series rear cross member. Its also been fitted with overdrive. Seems to run well, although it does have a little strange sound from the engine compartment that I will try to expalin in a later post. I think that the color is called Deep Bronze Green (is that correct) and I think that it is the only color it has ever been. It does have the rifle rack behind and slightly above the rear of the seat.

Does anyone know if all 1974 lightweights for the British service were painted DBG? I want to start collecting some British kit for it in the era when they were still being painted DBG. Does anyone know the approximate date when they started painting them another color? I would want my stuff to be prior to the change over date. I guess another question would be did any carry their original DBG all the way to being demobilized?

I am sure I will have a lot of questions and I hope to become a frequent contibutor here when I learn a little bit more about lightweights. Regards to all, Bil

Thanks everyone. I am just getting to know it, but very little rust yet. Thanks too for the link to the Lightweight club. I think I am going to wait until I get the history back and see where it served before I decide on what paint scheme. Since it may have always been DBG, then, I guess it is a no brainer. I may need some help decoding the history sheet. Any of you guys good at that? Also, where is the best place on the net to get pictures and info of particular units when I find out where it served? Thanks, Bil

All LRs,supplied to the military were painted in DBG.It was then up to individual units or regiments to camo them.The practice died out with the introduction of the Defender series.You may also find that your LTWT might not have even seen military service.It may have just been used as a hack by the M.O.D.I had one that was used just for that purpose.

When built it would have been deep bronze green, but it looks like it is currently in IIR (Infra-red reflective) Matt green. IRR green is a special paint that reflects infra-red light similar to how vegetation does. It helps them to stay hidden when you park them in a overgrown ditch. Deep bronze green has a nice gloss look to it.