19 set vehicle mounted

Maurice

Does anybody know how the aerials where connected to the 19set?

On a QLR there is the rubber aerial foot , and a glass bubble next to it , and inside there is then a junction block with engraved glass and rubber under the connectors , how is this connected to the set , and How is it then done on a MWR , should these also have a glass Insulator?

It varies with the vehicle (and also depends on the wireless set(s) fitted.

1) "Through the roof" mounting uses Aerial Lead-in No.16 (which is Aerial Base No.3 on top of a large ceramic insulator, the rubber part of Base No.3 is bypassed using four braid straps) and the lead from the variometer output goes to the bolt in the center of the ceramic insulator.

2) Bracket on the front of the "house type" body. There are two aerial bases and a "blackout box" fitted. (The box is to prevent light showing through the glass feed-through insulator on the front of the body. An angle bracket holds Aerial Base No.9 (on Mounting No.1) for the 'B' set above the lead-in insulator, and the 'A' set uses the same Aerial Lead-in No.16 insulator (with an extension rod) on Plate, Adapter, No.5, and the feed cable from that goes to the glass insulator (Aerial Lead-in No.12) on the front of the body.

Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2 Page W.S.19-73 and 74 have some drawings of the arrangement.

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...
These are pictures from the glass bowls one is mounted single , and the other is with a glass bowl for on inside of a body and one for outside.

The block is for the interior , rubber aerial and glass bowl .

Anybody any ideas?

I have not seen the the block type before, but that looks to be only for a receiver aerial.

The glass insulator with the metal mounting is RAF, I think, and has a metal pipe on the back, and a knurled nut on the aerial end. They were used on aerial junction boxes (Co-axial cable to wire aerial, etc., for ground stations but probably had other uses.)

The two glass bowls... are for the 'blackout box' on the front wall of a radio box. They fit into two Tufnol or Paxolin squares about 0.25" (5mm) thick, and have butterfly (wing) nuts on the end to attach wire feeders (to variometer inside and aerial base outside).

There is a complete unit on eBay, but I will make no comment regarding the price! :wow:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-British-Insulators-W-T-Aerial-Lead-In-No-12-ZA-0891-WS19-WS22-WS52-WS53-/151588268923

It does have useful photographs of the assembly.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi,

I have a glass insulator set available if your interested.

Doug[

QUOTE=Chris Suslowicz;478318]I have not seen the the block type before, but that looks to be only for a receiver aerial.

The glass insulator with the metal mounting is RAF, I think, and has a metal pipe on the back, and a knurled nut on the aerial end. They were used on aerial junction boxes (Co-axial cable to wire aerial, etc., for ground stations but probably had other uses.)

The two glass bowls... are for the 'blackout box' on the front wall of a radio box. They fit into two Tufnol or Paxolin squares about 0.25" (5mm) thick, and have butterfly (wing) nuts on the end to attach wire feeders (to variometer inside and aerial base outside).

There is a complete unit on eBay, but I will make no comment regarding the price! :wow:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-British-Insulators-W-T-Aerial-Lead-In-No-12-ZA-0891-WS19-WS22-WS52-WS53-/151588268923

It does have useful photographs of the assembly.

Regards,

Chris.

I will make a picture tonight from the RAF version tonight , these come from a QLR roof , and are mounted on a plate together with a rubber aerial socket , and from there to the glass rubber junction block.

Quite possibly an RAF vehicle then, probably with a VHF set fitted for aircraft communications and an HF set for ground use.

(I wonder if I can find my "Wireless Diagrams" pamphlet set. That might have a vehicle listed for a liaison role.)

Everything is still in boxes! :(

Chris.