CVRT fuel tank sender assembly

BRDM Driver

Anyone have any pics of a complete fuel sender/float for a CVRT (Scorpion in this case)?

After finding a good quantity of water in my carb and fuel filter, I decided to open the dreaded fuel bag access cover!

The fuel gauge has never worked and now I can see why. The float appears to have been reduced to a kit of parts!

I don't know if some of it has simply corroded to nothing or what, but the bottom of the fuel tank has some sludge in that looks just like tomato soup (doesn't smell like it though!).

There's a lot of 'organic matter' like leaves, pine needles, grass too. God knows how it all got in there.

IMGP3074.jpg

This is the back of the access plate showing the sender. There's some corrosion on the top of the plate but the sender looks 'as new'.

IMGP3071.jpg

IMGP3069.jpg

These are the bits I've found so far...

IMGP3079.jpg

And this is the float which also looks perfect.

IMGP3072.jpg

I think I am missing a few more bits though...

The fuel I removed has settled out with water/sludge at the bottom, clean petrol at the top and something else in the middle... Not sure what exactly, it's clear but dark brown, like a good ale! It burns but with a very sooty flame. Maybe it's just very old fuel.?

IMGP3077.jpg

So any pics of a complete sender would be appreciated. The parts diagram shows most of the parts but not assembled...

Cheers!

Looks like I am missing the small arm that is bolted to the float arm.

The brass bush for the float arm pivot has also disappeared...

Not sure what the two small pin type things I found are though...

When I first saw your post and pics, I wondered who hijacked my images! My sender and fuel tank looked identical, well, a bit worse actually. I found someone with a new one for sale, at over 400GPB! So I guess we need to make a run of the needed small parts.

If I had a mechanical drawing, or at least some measurements, I could fab some.

My comments on what I think are not complimentary so I will try to be tactful and polite, for a change.

I cant see many civvy owners ever using that much fuel so as far as I am concerned you should be thinking about a remote fuel source and tapping into the system.

I have just completed this on a Ferret with great results and will get some info up on here asap in its own thread so watch for it.

Sure clean it all out etc but it is a ticking time bomb long term unless you are doing big miles.

My humble opinion

My comments on what I think are not complimentary so I will try to be tactful and polite, for a change.

I cant see many civvy owners ever using that much fuel so as far as I am concerned you should be thinking about a remote fuel source and tapping into the system.

I have just completed this on a Ferret with great results and will get some info up on here asap in its own thread so watch for it.

Sure clean it all out etc but it is a ticking time bomb long term unless you are doing big miles.

My humble opinion

Yes, that's something I have been meaning to do for ages! I did think about using a boat fuel tank that can easily be moved about, but they are not legal for use in road vehicles.

I'm not 100% sure what is road legal with regard to non-standard fuel tanks.

Possibly just fit a small car fuel tank somewhere inside the original tank.

I doubt I'd ever need more than a 40 litre tank.