Installing a NOS Speedometer cable..

tankdriver

My Speedometer has not worked since I got the WC63. I pulled the old cable off, and if I hand turn the drive on the meter the hand moves like it should. Luckily, it is only cable. The one that was on it has the inner cable broken about 2ft in.

I'm installing a full(inner, and outer) NOS set in. I do not want it to break again, and was wondering what you guys use to lube the inner cable. I have always used STP run down the outer cable, but was wondering if there was anything any better.

Thanks

From what I've heard, oils and greases are right out because they attract grit and grime that turns into almost an abrasive compound, wearing things out quicker than without the lube.

Supposedly, the best thing to use is a dry powder lubricant, like graphite.

Thanks for the input.

A local car parts place has a tube of Speedometer Cable Lub, that is graphite and alcohol. Once it runs down inside, the outer cable, the alcohol evaporates, leaving just the dry graphite. Nothing to attack dirt, or get stiff, or thick.

I think I'll give that a shot.

most important issue is the routing, keep bends to a minimum and make sure it does not flap about or when fixing it down that it does not get crushed. I have always used plain old oil but can honestly say I have never had one fail other than being damaged, rather than worn out.