North Wales Festival of Military Transport

A rare free weekend meant I was able to go to this event on the Sunday; 100 mile drive to get there in the M201. Like Nesscliffe, it was smaller than I expected, maybe I missed most of it by not going for the whole weekend. Had a wander round, a cup of tea, took these pictures (there were some great trucks there) and ambled off again.

JC

• 2 weeks later...

This was a new show and as such we did not expect a huge turnout, in the event the total was over 50 vehicles which was very pleasing. Everybody that came was keen to return next year (including traders) and also said that they would bring others with them. The general public showed in quite large numbers and there were many favourable comments. Plans are afoot for next year and we look forward to seeing many more vehicles and owners.

I really wish you well with the show - everything has to start somewhere and it was nice to see something happening in that part of the country. I'm also aware of how much effort volunteers, doing things in their spare time have to put in to get something off the ground especially in these days of increasing bureaucracy. It was a shame that you had to compete with a show at Builth Wells on the same weekend.

Like I said in my first post, I was only there on Sunday am so maybe missed much of the event (I left after those great Matadors rolled in, one is pictured above) and a percentage of the vehicles because there's no way there were over 50 on the field while I was there.

I hope I'll see you there in 2008 but being honest it'll take some persuading to get my girlfriend to sit in the Hotchkiss all the way from Yorkshire to attend... :|

Another thought - related but not quite on topic; some guys from the edge of North Wales were the first MV owners I ever met. I was still at school and had become interested in MVs as back then every garage had an old British lorry as its tow truck. Use to drive my Dad mad insisting he stopped the car every time I saw one so I could take a picture. The guys I met had bought a Bedford or something from a garage in Calday or West Kirby on the Wirral down the road from my school and were dragging it home on a bar behind a Morris Quad (memory is a bit vague) and I spoke to them. They were happy to chat and I took their picture with the two MVs.

Anyway they invited me to their meetings but they were too far for a kid without a driving licence to get to but I later came across them again because they had something to do with that MV museum in an underground storage place that had been used in WWII to hide stuff. It's probably 30 years ago but does this ring any bells? I probably still have the picture but it will take some finding!

Thought I'd ask because your post mentions how long you've been involved with MVs. Diolch yn fawr. JC

Hi John, the Matadors are owned by Buckleys Crane Hire based just up the road from me and still work for a living, the owner is over 70 and a great Matador enthusiast. As regards the Museum that used to be at Holywell you need to speak to Mal Myers, he used to work there restoring vehicles etc and was present at the show with his Jimmy and Dodge, we spoke to you in Normandy 2004 when waiting for the ferry home (we had the jeep in the back of a 352). If you want to speak to Mal I can P.M. his phone no to you, he is still in touch with Tony who owned the Museum and who lives near Mold.

Regards

Degsy