First Issue 1958 Pattern Pack

SimonLMoore

My first post in this part of the forum, I've found this place a mine of information since I started lurking here.

Just thought I'd share some photos of the first issue 1958 pattern pack in my collection as I had seen them being discussed elsewhere on here. I found this one on ebay, it's quite tidy but sadly it was missing the tips from the cross straps when I got it. Luckily with some rummaging at War and Peace last year a friend and I managed to find two first issue packs, both missing bits but he got one decent pack out of it and I got replacement tips to crimp on, sorted!

IMG_7247.jpg

IMG_7248.jpg

where abouts on yours is the printing that you show on the second picture. I have one I am trying to identify.

Thanks

Robin

It's stamped centrally on the underside of the main flap, I'm surprised as both my later examples have lost the markings through wear, lucky that this one stayed so clear, though that is consistent with it's lightly used condition.

where abouts on yours is the printing that you show on the second picture. I have one I am trying to identify.

Thanks

Robin

Crimped-on strap ends are 1st version, eyeletted strap ends are 2nd version. See the Karkee Web site for a comprehensive overview of web equipment up to and including 58 pattern.

Got a couple of first pattern packs but none in as good condition as that!

I will be honest I paid rather over the odds for it on ebay for exactly that reason! Around £18 with postage as I remember, hoping to pick up another, cheaper example in usable condition this year by rummaging at shows as a wearing example for events.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Don't forget to add some green string to the tiny metal holes on the inner flaps, to tie them shut.

lol, now try to pack a weekends worth of kit in it!

For the first few introduction weeks of TA training we were only allowed to used the large pack (no webbing or yoke at all).

The techneque was to put the shoulder hooks on to the side spring clips, (literally hook them on)  it's not what the bag was designed for and not comfortable but that's what we had.

Then get all your spare clothes, waterproofs, 2 mess tins, ration box, Hexi cooker, torch, wash kit, poncho, tent pegs, bungees and water bottle, all in the main pouch, ideally in a bin bag to keep it dry. You can't get anything usefull in the pockets apart from hat and gloves.. Then put the 58" sleeping bag on the top (with the opening downward!), put your roll mat under the cross straps, tie it tight and you have a heavy very badly ballanced bag ready for some sore shoulders!

now get your food out and start cooking in less than a minute....nope. lol

Edited by webkitlover