Newbie from Shropshire on the cusp of Bedford purchase!

moatmeister

My old man drove an MW from Leeds to Wolfsberg in 1945/46 and then was rhe driver of the british commanding officer of that area. He swapped a few packets of cigarettes for a german Mercedes staff car but if unfortunately got left behind when they went home. Got some pics of the MW and at the VW factory but unfortunately not of the Merc!

You say it is a 'civilianised' OWL, that model was in fact built for civilian use and possibly local authorities and could only be obtained under a Ministry of War Transport licence. It had the same bonnet and cab as an OY, but civilian type wheels with duals on rear.

I wonder if this OY for sale in the South of France is possibly an OWL too? or just a conversion to civvy wheels

http://www.leboncoin.fr/utilitaires/876200050.htm?ca=4_s

Edited by Nick Johns

I wonder if this OY for sale in the South of France is possibly an OWL too? or just a conversion to civvy wheels

http://www.leboncoin.fr/utilitaires/876200050.htm?ca=4_s

Nick,

If it was an early OY (it says 1940), then they were on civvy wheels with dual rears, as were early Austin K3 3 tonners. The body is not original for an OY as it is a dropside, but likely that has been changed in time.

Cheers everyone,

But no one has really answered my question. Is £4500 a reasonable price for an up and running usable truck that wouldnt win prizes but certainly wouldnt look out of place at a show these days? I have been out of the vintage commercial scene for a while but I thought it was a bit expensive but thats what it would take to buy it or it stays in its shed. And what would be a "Faire offre raisonnable" for the french truck disregarding travel costs?