land rover series 2 1959 ex military rear cross member

nige71

Hello All

Please can someone tell me what cross member standard or military 1959 series 2 swb ex military land rover

is there anyone in bristol area or near for welding rear cross member you would recommended not scared

to get hands dirty .

Thanks Nige

Hello All

Please can someone tell me what cross member, standard or military, for a 1959 series 2 swb ex military Land Rover.

Thanks Nige

Military series 2s, as opposed to series 2As did not have the military rear cross member. There are a couple of good photos in the link attached.

However, I am basing this info on the date you gave. A certain pointer is the other details as shown in the shortcut link pictures. If the fuel filler is an original side filler arrangement, with only a single tank, rather than the dual tank arrangement, that would help ascertain whether or not you need a military or civvy type crossmember. Land rovers go through numerous mods during service, and after, so determining what is original and not depends on accuracy of date of production, and close inspection of what you have. Some pics would certainly help.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38179-RAF-Land-Rover-tilt-colour

Edited by ltwtbarmy
Added info

I know of a very good welder who is based in Whitminster (up the A38/M5 from Bristol). He's done a few bits of welding for us and he is very reasonable as well as being very good. He's not full time so can be a wait before he can do it. Can pass on his details to you if you are interested. He also knows Landrover's.

Cheers

Ed

I know of a very good welder who is based in Whitminster (up the A38/M5 from Bristol). He's done a few bits of welding for us and he is very reasonable as well as being very good. He's not full time so can be a wait before he can do it. Can pass on his details to you if you are interested. He also knows Landrover's.

Cheers

Ed

Hello Ed

please can i have contact number to give him a ring .

Thanks Nige

Military series 2s, as opposed to series 2As did not have the military rear cross member. There are a couple of good photos in the link attached.

However, I am basing this info on the date you gave. A certain pointer is the other details as shown in the shortcut link pictures. If the fuel filler is an original side filler arrangement, with only a single tank, rather than the dual tank arrangement, that would help ascertain whether or not you need a military or civvy type crossmember. Land rovers go through numerous mods during service, and after, so determining what is original and not depends on accuracy of date of production, and close inspection of what you have. Some pics would certainly help.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38179-RAF-Land-Rover-tilt-colour

Hi will try and get some pictures on , there is no fuel filler on side its under seat filler single tank .Thanks Nige

Things don't add up.

1959 series 2 swb 88" Utility would be a Rover 6 , a military chassis rear member for bumperette mounting did not appear until 1961 S2A Rover 8. A military tub has loads of differences and could be changed , photographs would assist. Assuming the chassis provenance is sound to chassis No. and dated to 1959.

If 1959 Rover 6 then the chassis rear member would be civvy style , other than that it would be more or less exactly like a civvy 88" but would be handed (not AC/DC) i.e. there would be only a single steering relay hole , the other side would be capped with a blank.

A 1959 88" military spec. Car Utility or SW chassis would have a few differences to a utility chassis.

If you have a bulkhead nomenclature plate that the chassis No. is same as branded on the dumb-iron , then the Contract No. will reveal all in full.

Wing side panels have bump rubbers - military

Wing front panels , lamps are stacked (side & trafficator - military

Grille mesh is military , no finger hole for bonnet release as bonner secured with pair of spring clips

Best if you can show photographs of tub , rear (external) internal at offside rear corner , front central vertical stiffner of transom .

As many internal pics as you wish , seat-base , any fuel tank change-over tap , whatever ,,