British Airborne Jeep steering wheel modification

fallingplate

I have recently bought my first HMV (1942 Ford GPW). I want to convert it to British Airborne specifications.

Most of it is fairly simple, but the one thing I am lost on is the conversion of the steering wheel.

I have the part to convert the standard steering wheel to a 'removable' one. But I have no idea how to disconnect the horn which is situated in the centre of the original steering wheel.

I know the horn has to be relocated to either the side of the steering column or to the dash board, again, I'm clueless!

Any words of advice would be welcome.

Cheers,

Andy.

I have recently bought my first HMV (1942 Ford GPW). I want to convert it to British Airborne specifications.

Most of it is fairly simple, but the one thing I am lost on is the conversion of the steering wheel.

I have the part to convert the standard steering wheel to a 'removable' one. But I have no idea how to disconnect the horn which is situated in the centre of the original steering wheel.

I know the horn has to be relocated to either the side of the steering column or to the dash board, again, I'm clueless!

Any words of advice would be welcome.

Cheers,

Andy.

Disconnect the horn wire from the junction block and rewire it to the new horn button (a pre-war car horn button ) positioned on the dash to the L/H side of the steering column. This is where I found the mounting screw holes on my ex-airborne jeep. The contacts within the steering shaft/tube are redundant with the fitting of the quick release wheel and so it is a simple circuit with the horn button making and breaking the circuit.

ZZ

These images are not of my jeep but illustrate the switch and position.