NYMR Railway in Wartime 2015

Hello all,

My brother & his partner, my partner & I attended this yesterday, Sunday, as a last minute jaunt from Derbyshire.

We arrived at Pickering park & ride and decided to drive on into Pickering instead, parking for free close to the town centre.

By chance we had arrived just before the MV parade along the cobbles - a good selection of ww2 era vehicles light & heavy. The street scene was quite picturesque and interesting with a large number of people in attendance.

After an hour or so we drove on to Levisham station (renamed LeVisham) which was 'occupied' by Germans in the main. The access to this was single track tarmaced road, very steep & winding at times - as was the 1/4 mile walk to the station. The isolated nature to the place made it feel all the more realistic. Nice to see a working Gulaschkanone & replica Sturmpanzerwagen rail car.

After just over half an hour we decided to move on to Goathland (or Aidensfield as you might know it). At the station were a few MVs along with a dads army style home guard unit complete with comical ARP warden who put on a comedy air raid skit. Up by the shops in the village were a few static engine displays.

With time pressing we headed to Whitby to end our trip, we didn't have time to visit the last wartime station at Grosmont. We would have liked to have used the train to see each station but at £24 return each from Pickering to Grosmont or £30 return each Pickering to Whitby we decided to drive.

Well worth a visit, will go again.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg