Tangential - Spares for RR engine in VDP Princess "R"

markb57

All:

Sorry for this fairly tangential question, but I am out of leads, and I know this is a diverse group with a specialty in vehicles obscure but interesting. I have a lead on a VDP Princess "R" here in the states, currently not running but turns over by hand, but I am holding back until I can establish a source for spares. I do not have a machine shop, so I can't just whip up a part that I can't buy. I have tried the VDP owner's club forum, but it somehow doesn't respond (I have tried three browsers and several log in accounts) and there is no response from the web master when I email. Oh,and the RR shop in the nearest big city (Indianapolis) says he can not get spares. So..... does anybody on this forum know of a place to get spares for these obscure variants of the B-60 engine? I am OK with a source in the UK if it is large enough to be in business for a while....

Oh - and I am reasonably confident that the rest of the vehicle uses relatively common Austin parts, probably big Healy commonality, so I am not that worried about those parts. Engine only....

Thanks for any help!

Mark Bridgeman

All:

Sorry for this fairly tangential question, but I am out of leads, and I know this is a diverse group with a specialty in vehicles obscure but interesting. I have a lead on a VDP Princess "R" here in the states, currently not running but turns over by hand, but I am holding back until I can establish a source for spares. I do not have a machine shop, so I can't just whip up a part that I can't buy. I have tried the VDP owner's club forum, but it somehow doesn't respond (I have tried three browsers and several log in accounts) and there is no response from the web master when I email. Oh,and the RR shop in the nearest big city (Indianapolis) says he can not get spares. So..... does anybody on this forum know of a place to get spares for these obscure variants of the B-60 engine? I am OK with a source in the UK if it is large enough to be in business for a while....

Oh - and I am reasonably confident that the rest of the vehicle uses relatively common Austin parts, probably big Healy commonality, so I am not that worried about those parts. Engine only....

Thanks for any help!

Mark Bridgeman

Hello Mark

The FB60 is an entirely different animal to the B60 and the B range family. It was designed at much the same time as the R-R L engine (V8) used in the Silver Cloud 11 onwards. Responsibility for spares distribution was through BMC (British Motor Corp) which eventually became the now defunct Rover. R-R Crewe did hold a few residual spares, but these were disposed of around 1990. I have such an engine in my barn and it's a runner. As you'd expect they're a long lasting engine and were somewhat wasted in the VDP Princess 4 litre R.

Best

Jerry Hill

Hello Mark

The FB60 is an entirely different animal to the B60 and the B range family......... they're a long lasting engine and were somewhat wasted in the VDP Princess 4 litre R.

Best

Jerry Hill

Jerry - thanks for your response....I have read a bit about the I-6/F-head variants. I am really interested in the aluminum I-6 in the VDP, but i'm distressed that it is such an orphan, as you have confirmed for me. Have fun with yours! Have you thought about building a simple old-skool roadster around it? It would be quite an attention grabber with the RR on the engine when you open the bonnet! Thanks again!

Mark

Is this the owner's club that you have tried to log into?

http://www.vpoc.info/membership.html

You may have to become a club member first, there is a downloadable form.

From personal experience I do know that it can take a long time to receive a reply from a forum administrator etc.

MatcheFuzze.......Yes - that's the one! I didn't think about s-mail, but maybe your suggestion is the place to start. I'll use some old school paper, lick a couple of postage stamps, and see if I can connect to them that way. Thanks for your help!

Mark