The Thursday Night Project

Snapper

Greetings once again from London E1. I've had a fairly casual sort of day. Thanks for the support last night from the Guns N Roses fans - do you feel the same about the Polyphonic Spree? Anyway, one of you dear souls said they were happy for me to be on the night shift. Ta! So here we go with another melange from the Barnes digital filing cabinet.

First snap shows a Jetstream at Culdrose. Sorry about the reflection off the tug's windscreen. Next up is Duxford's T55 - this one is in Egyptian colours methinks. The marching Germans come from Beltring in 1999. They were singing...probably better than the flamin' Zimmers! The next pic is a Chinese Type 69 from sunny Duxford circa Feb 2003 - just before the Iraq war. It was captured in Iraq back in GW1 and I think it has since gone to another museum to be restored. Any DX afficianados on the forum??????

Next up is a line of WarPac stuff from DX. Alien FTM may have some interesting comments to add if he is looking in....Then we have another view of the ZSU23-4 - this is a serious bit of kit. The chassis is basically the same as the 2S1 and the MTLB and on top you have a radar guided quad 23

mm SPAAG. These seem to have been popular bits of GW1 booty - one from elsewhere to follow.

The next shot shows the workshop at DX with work on a 432 in the foreground and a T34 and "Tiger" in the background. If I remember correctly this is a Polish built T34 from the late 1940s and was in a rough state. The example at the IWM Lambeth was a good runner, but the London museum got it and welded the tracks up. The "Tiger" is the example seen blown up by Mustangs at the end of Private Ryan and the DX lads did an amazing job fabricating bits to make it look acceptable for display. My first day's "work" there was when the finished tank was moved into the Land Warfare Hall. Maybe not one for the purists, but it fitted in well and I suppose it is good to see a famous film prop saved. I have got snaps of the transfer - but they are not scanned from the negatives. I didn't "go digital" until autumn 03.

Fourthly - a look at the breech of the 122mm gun on the 2S1.

A view of the little GTMU apc. It has microwave aerials and loads of kit inside. Talk about claustrophobic!

No prizes for identifying the next pic...

This is 1998 Beltring - or maybe 99. I think these are Rolling Thunder blokes with their M38s - please correct me.

Yet another ZSU 23-4. This one is from the Army Air Corps museum at Middle Wallop in May 1992 - my wife enjoyed a last holiday sans sprogs. James was born the following August. My mrs stayed outside in the shade of a DHC Beaver while I looked round....typical.

Some jeeps from my first Beltring in 1998 - still fondly remembered.

US photographer display from Beltring - same year. Still one of the most original displays I've seen. Not seen since - where are you chaps?????

SBG on parade. Some familiar faces here - this is 1998.

A view of the American Air Museum at Duxford. If you haven't seen it, then you must...

Two further views of the DX T62 running with the snorkel fixed. What a gem. I am a massive fan of WarPac kit. The exposures are crap - scanned from transparencies. But they work. Next up is a BDRM 2 armoured car from DX. If I can I'll dig out some more views of this motor from home.

And that's the lot for tonight....Sorry Jack I owe you some GMCs - not sure what I have here at work. Any other requests? (excluding 'sod off')

The lot I work for uses the American Museum at Duxford in some of it's sales brochures as we made the insulation used in the building, in fact there is a 99.9% chance that yours truly made a lot of it himself :-). Haven't been there for several years, must make the effort soon ............ Duxford that is not work. ;-)

Great pics by the way