Clothing

Mark

All

Has anyone got some good links to military/surplus sites for clothing, need some new gear especially trousers and boots.

Thank you

Hi Mark -

What kit are you after - I have my old - but new Combat 95 kit - sort of lost it when de-mobbed after Bosnia.

I have various bits and pieces including modern chest rig, no 2 uniform, etc. My clothing will fit 32 waist, 31 leg.

I also have a set of reproduction M43 uniform - never been worn. Got it off e-bay but way to big for me. Sizes are

JACKET 42 INCH CHEST

TROUSERS 34 INCH WAIST - 32 INCH LEG.

There is a prior thread in the sales and classifieds.

Markheliops

I have my old - but new Combat 95 kit - sort of lost it when de-mobbed after Bosnia.

I wear a black leather overcoat in the winter to keep out the cold (ever seen a cow shiver?).

In the summer I would go coatless, but:

1. I need some pockets to carry stuff in;

2. I wear the bergen for my ThinkPad high on my back and tight so that my walk to and from the car is as good for my posture as possible (unlike my days in the cavalry when webbing was worn low-slung like the cowboys we were): I decided something light and throw-awayable would prevent the rubbing of the bergen straps as I hoist it twice daily from wearing out my shirts.

My 1985 pattern Combat Jacket does this supremely well. No lining, pockets everywhere and free, courtesy of having been a Military Accountant whom the QM's clothing storemen always wanted to stay in with. I'd walk into the clothing store waving two socks: "I have lost one sock from each of these two pairs of socks. Can I exchange them please?"

I got into the '85 pattern combats early because I figured that by the time they became commonplace, mine would have been washed and faded and I wouldn't look like a member of the cast of Soldier, Soldier who always wore brand new combats. For Ex Spearpoint in 1980, all German Colloquialists and above (I am a Linguist) were given a set of the Bundeswehr roundel cockades they wore on their side hats and we were to display them on the left sleeve above the pen pocket so that civvies could pick out the German-speakers among us.

This order was never rescinded (an oversight I am sure) so that whenever I replaced a combat jacket, I transferred the name tape on the left breast and the German badge on the left arm from old to new. Rank badges were chargeable to the regimental tailor, so I got them done for nowt.

Over the years, numerous Orderly Officers tried to pick holes in my Guard Commander uniform. "What is that badge doing on your arm, Sergeant Alien?" I'd quote the Defence Council Instruction which had put it there and they never had an answer for it.

When I left, I held on to as much kit as I could. (I could have retained my best DMS boots because I had two pairs of Boots, CH to hand in. I didn't want DMS boots, I wanted CH, but they were new and special and there was no way the QM would let me hang on to my brand new never-been-worn size 9 CHs, still with string holding them together. I still have one pair of DMS boots for use in the garden etc.) The '85 pattern Combat Jacket may not be the greatest Combat Jacket ever produced but it's a great lightweight summer jacket (even though we only had temperate combats in the 80s: no sandpits on the horizon).

So for years I have worn my beautiful '85 pattern Guard Commander's Combat Jacket complete with all badges exactly as they were on the day I left a couple of decades ago. (It seemed to shrink a bit in the wash though.)

Sadly last winter, it finally started to disintegrate. Pleased to report, a couple of months ago with Spring springing I walked into the Army Surplus Shop just opposite West Quay in Southampton and picked up a virtually new '85 pattern Combat Jacket for ten of your English Pounds. Transferred the insignia to retain the uniqueness of the jacket and nobody has clicked that it isn't the same Combat Jacket and "Why did you bother transferring the badges?"