RAF Fordson Industrial 1942 resto & parts needed...

Greenlanekit

Hi All

She still isn't quite finished (are they ever) but last year I found myself a 1942 Fordson, she came from RAF St Eval in Cornwall and was used to tow mainly a bowser around but also bomb trailers and aircraft. Over the years I think parts from a Standard have been added on and the Industrial parts taken off, I've renewed the rear tyres, found some correct rims, fixed the water pump which were the pricey bits to do, I've fixed several leaks and some in the fuel tank, replaced the rear wings (think she may of had these narrow wings originally) Sporting an EN steering column and seat, these EN / Standard parts I'll retain as they do make her a little more practical to use, safer and passengers can stand on the footplate with something to hold on to, plus the wings protect me on the road.

Jobs to do are to replace a core plug, finish the markings, restore the steering wheel which I'm doing now and fettle a few other bits. One of the pictures has been taken outside the main entrance to RAF Wing the closest ww2 base to me, we've been out on the road a fair bit and a couple of local shows / fetes. Slow yes, can be an utter pig to start, stalled mid-turn a few times and been even a bigger pig to re-start but absolutely love it that I have one at the moment, she's like a little bit of old fashioned therapy every time I take her out, she runs a pretty good pace, not the 30mph some did alough I would like the gear to have, but she cruises at about 15mph which is a lovely speed and enjoy every minute of driving.

Looking for Industrial parts should you know of any...

image1.jpg

image6.jpg

image5.jpg

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

Hi All

She still isn't quite finished (are they ever) but last year I found myself a 1942 Fordson, she came from RAF St Eval in Cornwall and was used to tow mainly a bowser around but also bomb trailers and aircraft. Over the years I think parts from a Standard have been added on and the Industrial parts taken off, I've renewed the rear tyres, found some correct rims, fixed the water pump which were the pricey bits to do, I've fixed several leaks and some in the fuel tank, replaced the rear wings (think she may of had these narrow wings originally) Sporting an EN steering column and seat, these EN / Standard parts I'll retain as they do make her a little more practical to use, safer and passengers can stand on the footplate with something to hold on to, plus the wings protect me on the road.

Jobs to do are to replace a core plug, finish the markings, restore the steering wheel which I'm doing now and fettle a few other bits. One of the pictures has been taken outside the main entrance to RAF Wing the closest ww2 base to me, we've been out on the road a fair bit and a couple of local shows / fetes. Slow yes, can be an utter pig to start, stalled mid-turn a few times and been even a bigger pig to re-start but absolutely love it that I have one at the moment, she's like a little bit of old fashioned therapy every time I take her out, she runs a pretty good pace, not the 30mph some did alough I would like the gear to have, but she cruises at about 15mph which is a lovely speed and enjoy every minute of driving.

Looking for Industrial parts should you know of any...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106649[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]106650[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]106651[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]106652[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]106653[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]106654[/ATTACH]

Nice work, i used to drive a 50,s David Brown at St Mawgan. Hope you find your industrial parts soon.

My Father in Law has a Standard Fordson based Road Roller made during WW2 for the Army. I will go down and take pictures when he gets back from holiday. Another rare piece of kit converted by Barfords of Grantham, Lincs.

Thanks All

I was considering a Jimmy for a long time, still am but she came up and thought that its small so easily stored and a few of my local mates have vintage tractors. My grandfather was RAF MU and his brother a Lanc Pilot, so its nice to have a proper one, I could really only have an ex contract RAF. Yeah looking for something to tow behind it, my ideal would be to build a control caravan but storage, time and money dictate. Bomb trolley type C is realistic if I can find one, did find one that was knackered, too much to do and another too far away so still hunting.

Probably said it earlier but even though she only trundles along she's really very enjoyable