• 2 weeks later...

Mudguards and fuel tank finished. resprayed them.

Rear rim had a lot of play, because of not being assembled correctly (incorrect spacer fitted, and something which i think came out of a car gearbox...:rolleyes:)

A new bushing was made and fit into it and now it's as good as new again.

Due to the extremely soft temperatures (15°C here in belgium, while being December), it was ideal weather to spray paint.

We've put the rims in WH-grau, will order a new set of Heidenau tyres so they can be assembled and put in stock.

Also put the rear stand spring in place.

Had a look at the BMW parts list and apparently there is a bearing and some spacers missing in the rear drive.

Wonder why they took the bearing out. Hope to find the parts in germany.

Hope to coat the fuel tank by the end of the week.

20151219_163044.jpg

20151219_163056.jpg

20151219_163107.jpg

20151219_163120.jpg

20151219_163132.jpg

20151219_172752.jpg

20151219_172807.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

January means exams here in Belgium so i haven't had much time to work on the BMW.

Luckily i have a good team (my father and grandfather) with me who are still willing to work on it.

Here are some of the changes since last post:

Front fork was refitted, now we can make a new brackets for fitting the mudguard.

Gearbox reassembled (finally!). We assembled the gearbox and then found out it couldn't take third gear and had a very small neutral. We then had a look at the original bushings. The bushing i waited on for over a month and a half (which the seller claimed was NOS) was a really crude repro... The dimensions of the bushing were off by a couple of millimeters. Because of this the selector was unable to select 3th gear. Luckily a friend of ours is quite good at machining. He was able to turn the bushing to the correct size. we then put the gearbox back together and now it works fine.

We also had to open the rear drive again, one of the previous owners had removed the original bearings and put 2 smaller bearings instead, this caused play on the pinion shaft. I wasn't aware of this untill i had a look at the parts list. I was lucky to find NOS bearings. we then put it back together with new bearings, distance bushing and a new pinion gear.

A new carb and an exhaust set is on it's way, hope to have it by the end of next week.

20160102_173416.jpg

20160116_110320.jpg

20160116_110855.jpg

20160114_162837.jpg

20160114_162841.jpg

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

• 3 weeks later...

Gearbox is now installed and working. Had some problems with assembling the clutch.

The clutch fork was badly worn. Because of this the clutch wasn't working propperly. We fitted the new drive shaft. turned out it was too short. We took the measurements of the old one. The old drive shaft had been welded back together, must have had a piece missing. The pinion shaft and rear drive was missing some bearings and small parts, The short drive shaft must have been the reason. Wonder how they managed to break that drive shaft.

A new drive shaft has been machined, fits nicely, Now the entire drivetrain is complete i hope to start the engine soon. See how that'll work out...:rolleyes:

P1050560.jpg