CVR(t) Shocks

greenlandy

David,

The early style rear idlers were basically smaller roadwheels. They were changed to cast spoked ones, with the latest version being the 2 piece spoked idler. I think the rubber must have worn out quite quickly on the rubber ones!

Chris

I have never seen anything other than the original like-a-small-roadwheel idler. Quite a shock to hear it isn't any more.

In seven years in a CVR(T) regiment, I never saw or heard of an idler losing its rubber. Plenty of roadwheels though.

I think they switched to the metal idlers in the early 80s. The later split spoked idlers are fairly recent, these probably only appeared in the late 90s. If you look at current in service photos it's not uncommon to see mixed idlers, ie 2 piece on one side and 1 piece on the other. I guess it just depends on what they have left in stock.

Obviously the rubber idler is shown on this thread, here are the other 2;

Single Piece

width=640 height=480http://www.sirhc.co.uk/gallery/album/CVRT%20Spartan/Running%20Gear%20Respray%20(4).JPG[/img]

2 Piece

width=640 height=480http://www.sirhc.co.uk/gallery/album/Withams%20Tender/Withams%20Oct%2006%20004.jpg[/img]

Chris

Matt,

The nice clean Spartan is mine... it used to look like that, but it doesn't quite look that good anymore! The Sabre in the bottom photo was one I was outbid on at Withams. It was a mess, but I had photos of it in service in Kosovo with my Spartan so I wanted it. I ended up with a better one for less money, so it's not all bad!

Chris

• 2 months later...