Vickers Armstrong Ltd Interwar photos

49 2 Morris Roadless MG carrier.jpg

I recently came across two works albums of photographs from Vickers Armstrong Ltd covering the period c 1915 to c 1945, held by Beamish Museum. The Museum have provided me with digital images and given me permission to use them on line. The albums and their photos seem to be largely unknown.

I have now posted all the photos from the first album along with their original captions on a new blog called InterWar Tank Development, which can be found here.

Don't let the title put you off as it also has information on other tracked, half tracked, wheeled and wheel cum track vehicles. The photos are a mix of high quality works photos and shots from trials and exercises including those at Wool in 1925 and 1927 and the demonstration to the Dominion Premiers at Camberley in 1926.

56 3 Vickers Reconnaissance Car.jpg

There is a page on the blog called Media which has clips from British Pathe and Movietone News, and an interesting audio interview from the IWM archive.

I'm hoping to do some work on the second album next week.

I hope there might be material of interest to some of the people on this forum on the blog.

Thanks for posting, and here is a film of the above mentioned 1926 Tank Demonstration to the Dominion Premiers on Old Dean common, Camberley, Surrey

Yes thanks I put that link on my Vintage Wargaming blog earlier this week and it is on the Media page of the new blog along with other newsreel clips and a really interesting audio interview with an officer of the Tank Testing Service from the IWM archive.

90_zps3xwyk8kd.jpg

Following a second visit to Beamish today to copy all the captions from the second album, all the interwar photos from it (around a hundred or so) have now been added to the blog. If you are interested in bridging techniques, or gaining an in depth knowledge of military trailers between 1925 and 1935, this could be the place for you.

Update on Vintage Wargaming

http://vintagewargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/back-to-beamish.html

and posts on the new blog at

http://tankdevelopment.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by Vintage Wargaming